Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Help me donate stuff, please

I have stuff I need to get rid of. Some, I know will sell at a mom2mom sale next month, so I'm doing that. A lot just needs to get donated somewhere. But, I can't itemize donations this year for taxes and I keep thinking I'm losing that money. It's not a lot of money, even if I could use it on taxes. But, the thrify person in me hates to get rid of something that I could benefit from at another time.

It's really annoying me that I can't seem to get past it and just get rid of the stuff! I really don't want to wait until January, when it would count for taxes, but that's what I'm tempted to do.

Can you talk me into it? Please?!
    Kris

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The amount of space in your house and in your mind that you can clear out by donating the stuff NOW is so much more valuable that the deduction in January. Get it out of your house ASAP!

I think it's hard to commit to doing it (and depriving yourself of the deduction), but as soon as the decision is made and the stuff is gone, you'll be glad you did.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just go drop it off. Someone who lives near you will be shopping at the thrift shop b/c her DH lost his job and they need exactly what you're holding onto.

How's that?

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, if you really don't want to store it til Jan. than I'd say look for some women's shelters to give your things to and some of your favorite charity thrift stores knowing that people will really need your things as the weather grows colder and kids go back to school.
    K

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just do it! I struggle with the same feelings, and have trouble letting go, but it is always SUCH a relief to have the space and sanity. We got rid of a bunch of stuff last weekend and more through this week and I'm SO happy. If only I can remember not to BUY more things we don't need to replace the stuff we got rid of.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Having walked in your very shoes I can tell you that you are going to be SO relieved when you just get rid of the stuff. It isn't doing you any good cluttering up your house, it may well benefit someone else.

Peace of mind vs. tax deduction? I'll take the 5 months of peace!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

RIGHT THERE with ya! Don't know your situation, but these 2 things help me:

1. I don't want to raise packrats...and I know they are watching.
    2. We personally will have to move in the next few years, and moving STUFF is expensive. There is a financial cost to holding on to stuff.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sometimes I just have to put things in my car, drive to a donation drop-off, hand over the boxes and drive away without looking back. Try that!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Just go drop it off. Someone who lives near you will be shopping at the thrift shop b/c her DH lost his job and they need exactly what you're holding onto.

How's that?

This.

Someone needs it, give it to the thrift store and someone can find it there. They can't find it when it's in your garage.

I've got the car loaded up and heading to Goodwill this afternoon.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Okay, I can do this!

In a week, DH is taking all the kids up to my parents' lakehouse for the weekend with my parents. I'm staying home so I can have 2 days of cleaning and organizing. Before they leave, I am working hard to have nearly all the house nice and clean and neat. The basement and my bedroom are the huge mess areas and I'm not touching those until next Friday night.

My goal is to have my entire house neat enough so that I can hire housecleaners again. I had them for a while, but hated having to clear stuff off of surfaces for them to clean.

I know I have a ton to donate. I know others need it now. I know I need the space. And, I do want the kids to be better at this than I am. I'm getting there and have done a lot in the past 1.5 years, but this is sort of the final stages of my organization project.

Thanks!
    Kris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast