Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How can you tell if it's yeast?

DS has an awful diaper rash right now. He's never really had any issues with it before, but last week had a little bit of diarrhea and definitely had some yesterday morning. Saturday it was looking a bit red so I put some Desitin on him at bedtime. Sunday morning I set him on the changing pad and he started to cry. Got his diaper off and his butt looked awful. I would have cried too if was me. I made the mistake of using a regular wipe on it first and he screamed. Quickly switched to my cloth ones. I alternated using Desitin and Aquaphor yesterday. Last night I gave him a bath and let him cruise around diaper-less for a while afterward. I found a sample of Boudreaux's in my closet that had more Zinc; used that last night.

His stool seemed to be getting pastier yesterday afternoon and this morning, which is good. We actually have a pediatrician well-visit this afternoon - new pedi in the same office; old one moved out of state. Can't wait to introduce him to DS with this butt. I'll ask him about it, but wondered if this could be yeast at all? How does a yeast rash look in comparison to regular?
    DS1 - Oct. '09

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yeast causes a beefy-red rash. Babycenter.com has some good photos.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_yeast-diaper-rash_10913.bc
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In my experience, yeast rash truly looks rashy whereas a sore bum from stool just looks red (not raised or splotchy). Yeast rashes also don't seem to respond to regular ointments so if a rash isn't getting better with desitin it's usually a yeast rash in our case.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    In my experience, yeast rash truly looks rashy whereas a sore bum from stool just looks red (not raised or splotchy). Yeast rashes also don't seem to respond to regular ointments so if a rash isn't getting better with desitin it's usually a yeast rash in our case.
    Red and beefy or red and very pimply, and doesn't respond to regular ointments.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

If I'm ever in doubt I apply some Lotrimin under the Desitin Original per the Peds suggestion. Wegman's has really cheap Lotrimin generics, I keep several tubes on hand.
    DS#1: 11.06.07
    DS#2: 09.04.09