Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Is it possible they're planning to surprise you?

I've never understood why immediate family isn't supposed to throw a shower. Sometimes family is the only option.

while i'm really big on following rules of etiquette, the whole "no immediate family hosting" seems very outdated. i think if done right, family-hosted showers can come off as nothing like a gift-grab.

for my shower, my mom & MIL hosted it (my mom sent out the invites, my MIL did most of the decorations, took care of snacks, etc). i had just moved to the area and barely knew anyone, so if they didn't host one for me, i wouldn't have had a shower at all. i didn't want gifts, i just wanted a get together with friends & family to celebrate the baby. i didn't put registry info on the invitation, i had the party catered with good food and i made an effort to get nice prizes/goody bags. most of the people who attended were family members anyway (mostly my husband's family).

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My MIL was so excited about my DD that she did a shower for us on the East coast. It was fantastic and all of both our families were there.

I personally love it when my friends have showers even for 2nd or 3rd babies or whatever because it's always fun to get together and hang out. I'd rather get a cool gift for my friend and go hang at a shower with my other friends than go to a dumb movie or something where I'll spend just as much cash. Maybe I'm in the minority but to me it's more fun to have quality time and celebrate such an important moment in someone's life.

I don't see why people are so against celebrating it. If it's because it feels like a gift grab, i guess I understand but it doesn't have to be a super expensive gift.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

I didn't read anyone else's response, but my 1st thought was that if your cousins didn't even bother coming to your 1st shower why would you be disappointed or even remotely expect them to throw you a 2nd shower/sprinkle? not to sound harsh, but i'm sure you know what i mean.

secondly, i think it is TOTALLY appropriate for you to throw your sister a shower. I've heard its not proper etiquette for Mom's to throw showers, but never heard of sisters. Frankly, i think its a dumb rule anyway and have been to LOADS of showers hosted by moms, siblings, both, etc.

third, can't help you on the timing. you will be tired and stressed from having hte baby, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime for your sister. she deserves a shower adn if you are the only one who might possibly throw it, than you should definatley do so. imagine how disapointted she'd be in no one threw her a shwoer!

goood luck.
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

[QUOTE=sewarsh;2815451]I didn't read anyone else's response, but my 1st thought was that if your cousins didn't even bother coming to your 1st shower why would you be disappointed or even remotely expect them to throw you a 2nd shower/sprinkle? not to sound harsh, but i'm sure you know what i mean.
    QUOTE]

I think they didn't/couldn't attend b/c my baby shower was on the east coast, and they were all the way on the west coast. I thought it would be nice to have a family gathering here in CA since we've moved back recently to the west coast.

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by riversideweddings View Post
    It would be nice of you to throw a party for your sister's baby, that could only happen if you have your money.
    I'm not sure what you mean in reference to having your money. Logistically, it would be tough b/c she lives 6 hours away. Regardless, I know that I'll send her a very special gift for her first baby with or without a baby shower.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2