Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do we need a microwave??

Hi everyone, asking the boards yet another question (these message boards have been invaluable for us, as first time parents who are expecting their first bundle of joy). We currently do not own a microwave and have found that we really have no use for one...we heat things up in the oven and do not rely on frozen products. My question is the following...will we ned one for the baby? I am yet to take my breastfeeding class (planning to breastfeed), so pardon my ignorance, but will i need one for sterilizing/heating up bottles or any other baby needs? I'd prefer not to get one since we really have no need for one, but want to hear what kinds of things would be difficult to do for the baby without a microwave.

Many thanks!

I donot think you will need a microwave for sterilizing bottles. You can either invest in a electric kettle or heat it in a boiling water on the stove. I never really used a microwave for anything baby related but I did have an electric kettle. My son was cared by grandma at home and would drink only body temp pumped milk. Since he was born in winter it was invaluable to have a kettle which heat water quickly, mix it with some lukewarm water and heat the milk in the slightly hot water. The same with food, he liked absolutely steaming hot food and I had to reheat his food multiple times in winter in the hot water.

So yes, you can survive without the microwave.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No need. To sterilize stuff just it stick in a pot of boiling water. And you're never supposed to microwave bottles anyway - uneven heating can cause burns.

I actually love my microwave but I don't use it for baby stuff at all.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Good to know. We already own an electric kettle (big tea drinkers). Thanks

Yeah I don't use the microwave for anything baby related. I'm afraid of burns, especially when I will not be testing the food/milk first. I heat the milk using hot water.
    mom to one sweet little girl born in late '08
    and -surprise!- one sweet little boy born in late '11

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MomToOne View Post
    Yeah I don't use the microwave for anything baby related. I'm afraid of burns, especially when I will not be testing the food/milk first. I heat the milk using hot water.
    But, I love owning a microwave. If you are ok w/o one though then don't worry.

Beth

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

On the other hand... we used the microwave constantly for baby. We would heat water in a tall glass measuring cup, and use that container to heat bottles.

As baby got older, we also make homemade baby food, and froze it in cubes. We would then microwave the frozen cubes in a glass custard dish for meals.

I think you _can_ do without one, but it was really useful to us.

(PS - I often ended up reheating my own drinks, too... it seamed I never got to drink a whole warm cup of anything!)

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Nope, we haven't had a microwave since DD was a baby and haven't needed one - I don't miss it and like that my countertop has more room .
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

You don't need a microwave.
    If I could I'd get rid of ours but my husband, a SAHD, does not cook and uses the microwave to reheat food for himself and our toddler.
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The only thing baby-related that I use the microwave for is sterilizer bags for my pump parts, but even those I could sterilize in other ways if I chose to learn how to do it.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast