Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don't think you "need" a microwave, but it can be convenient. I WOHM so every day we need to clean all of DD's bottles, plus the bottles that I pump into, plus my pump parts. We have found having a microwave sterilizer extremely convenient for this process. But, if you don't mind running the dish washer daily (or doing a ton of hand washing) you could get away without the microwave.

Momto1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    (PS - I often ended up reheating my own drinks, too... it seamed I never got to drink a whole warm cup of anything!)
    LOL so true!

I haven't really had to use the microwave for anything baby-related. But yes, it is still rare for me to get through an entire cup of coffee without having to re-heat it in the microwave.
    WOHM to DD, born 5/4/09

PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

You don't need the microwave to heat up the milk, it's not recommended. I have a bottle warmer for this, or you can simply use a pot of warm water.

As far as sterilizing is concerned it all depends on how frequently you will be doing this. I used the microwave in the beginning with the Medela micro-steam bags to sterilize all the new bottles and pump parts. I found the bags convenient as it takes only 2 min to sterilize vs. having to heat up a pot of water to boiling point and then boil for 5 min. If you are going to sterilize very frequently - I recommend it, but if not, using a pot of water won't be a hassle. It's not required to sterilize bottles and pump parts every day or after every use, you can just wash them with soap and bottle brush and warm water or use a dishwasher.

I only sterilize the brand new stuff and then wash it by hand. Only once in a while I would sterilize existing baby food stuff, mostly if the milk in the bottle goes bad or just because. I ran out of the Medela bags already, and I had no need to buy new ones with the little amount of sterilizing I do. So, I can say that I no longer use the microwave for any of the baby related stuff. But my baby hasn't started solids yet, so I am not sure if the situation changes once he starts having regular food.

FWIW I never used a microwave for anything baby related (lots of reheating dinners for DH and I, but not baby related).

Incidentially, my Pediatrician recommended that when we first introduced bottles (of pumped BM) we didn't heat the milk up, even after it was in the fridge. If baby will only take warm milk it is a bit more of a hassle while you're out and about. My DS has always (since about 6 wks old) taken pumped milk straight from the fridge. He will also take milk that has been thawed just using luke warm tap water. According to the Ped...there is no reason the milk has to be warm...its just a comfort thing. I'm SO grateful she shared this tid-bit with me...its kept life just a little simpler for our family.

Also, I only sterilized my pump parts and bottles once, when I first got them, using a pot on the stove. After that I hand washed and air dried daily. My DS has only had 2 colds in 13 mos and no other illnesses, so I don't think they presented any increased chance of illness.

Congrats and best of luck!

PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    FWIW I never used a microwave for anything baby related (lots of reheating dinners for DH and I, but not baby related).

Incidentially, my Pediatrician recommended that when we first introduced bottles (of pumped BM) we didn't heat the milk up, even after it was in the fridge. If baby will only take warm milk it is a bit more of a hassle while you're out and about. My DS has always (since about 6 wks old) taken pumped milk straight from the fridge. He will also take milk that has been thawed just using luke warm tap water. According to the Ped...there is no reason the milk has to be warm...its just a comfort thing. I'm SO grateful she shared this tid-bit with me...its kept life just a little simpler for our family.

Also, I only sterilized my pump parts and bottles once, when I first got them, using a pot on the stove. After that I hand washed and air dried daily. My DS has only had 2 colds in 13 mos and no other illnesses, so I don't think they presented any increased chance of illness.

Congrats and best of luck!

DS also drinks cold milk when we are traveling or outside. It makes it easier to get them used to it. I do use bottle warmer for when I have time to heat it up, but if he is screaming for food, I often just serve it cold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2