Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HELP!! Ultimate diaper rash remedies

For bad diaper rashes, what are the brands/cremes/ointments that you use?? I typically rinse DD off in the sink, use Aveeno diaper rash ointment, and then put on Aquafor on top of that. Should I use something else?? Thanks!!!

Someone once posted here (sorry, I can't remember who!) to use Triple Paste with Aquaphor on top. Sometimes I just put triple paste on the rash, and globs of aquaphor in the diaper. It really works well. I see a big difference overnight. If the rash is REALLY bad though, you may need prescription cream from your pediatrician.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Someone once posted here (sorry, I can't remember who!) to use Triple Paste with Aquaphor on top. Sometimes I just put triple paste on the rash, and globs of aquaphor in the diaper. It really works well. I see a big difference overnight. If the rash is REALLY bad though, you may need prescription cream from your pediatrician.
    Especially if it's yeast, which DS had at around 8 months.

For bad rashes, we use Triple Paste. The best solution is to let your DS go bare bottomed for a while each day, air and sunlight are the best remedies.

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

For any significant rash, I throw in some Lotrimin (OTC anti yeast cream... find it in the Athlete's foot section)... I figure if it doesn't have yeast growing in it yet, if I don't add the lotrimin it will.
    My favorite barrier is plain old vaseline. Aquaphor would be similar. I find that the zinc oxide preparations seem to hurt (i.e. the kid screams) when applied to really bad rashes; vaseline works great without so much screaming, and it's cheap enough that nobody feels bad using lots of it.
    Don't forget bare bottom time if you can stand it. And clean that little bum gently but thoroughly--a rinse off in the sink can be great. Make sure it's dry before you put a diaper back on. A hair dryer on low/cool can be good for that.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

I have had great success with the A&D oinment (not the white A&D). Granted, we never really had bad rashes, but it has worked overnight for any rash we did have, and I like to think that regular use helped prevent any major rashes from occurring. I would think it's similar to vasoline.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS had a well visit yesterday and happens to be sporting a diaper rash right now, so I talked to his pedi about it.

He said to get the poop cleaned off his bottom and get it nice and dry; apply a thick layer of Desitin. I can put A&D ointment or something similar on top of that. At the next diaper change, you want to get all the poop off, but not scrape off all the Desitin, etc... - if you do that, you're rubbing off the new skin that's trying to grow. By using the Desitin with A&D on top of it, it will make the poop easier to quickly wipe off.

He did say to make sure that I use ointment and not cream so that I'm using 2 petroleum based products together, not 1 petroleum based and 1 water based because those will repel each other. He also said I could use a bit of Lotrimin with it if I wanted to, but that our rash wasn't yeast.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I use A & D Diaper Rash, not the preventative one and then do a layer of aquaphor. I make it thick.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I also remember seeing some posts on using Maalox and aquaphor. You may want to do a search on that.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

We tried various kinds of diaper creams when DS (now 3) was younger and thought Weleda worked best.

I would talk to the doc about any persistent rash in the same spot. For one rash, I remember alternating Nystatin (Rx only, an anti-fungal) and Cortisone (corticosteroid) for a couple of days because nothing else worked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast