Default Cloth diapers with flushable inserts

For a variety of reasons, we're considering the switch from disposables to cloth with flushable inserts. I'd been eyeing gdiapers with their flushable insert but then learned about having to use a stick to swish and break up the insert in the toilet. I'd like to avoid this. Does anyone have experience with GroVia or Flip with the flushable inserts? Any other flushable inserts that are proven successful, ie, don't clog up your toilet?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have heard they all do. I do fitteds and covers and some pocket diapers. Really they arnt bad
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have used the GroBaby/GroVia with disposable inserts but have never flushed them. We just toss them out. Overall we really like the system when we do us it althoug I wish the disposable inserts were a little more absorbant for overnights.
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't believe the Flip inserts are flushable - but you may want to verify that. We use the gdiaper inserts with Flip covers when traveling and at night if DS has a rash. I don't find the ripping open to be a big deal, and you only need to flush poop. Pee-only inserts are compostable. We have new plumbing and they do sometimes get a little stuck, but not to the point of an overflow. I expect any flushable brand would be about the same.

I'm not a fan of the gdiaper covers but I love the Flip covers. Frankly though, I think its just as easy to use regular cloth diapers. We use all-in-ones most of the time. Then you just dump poop in the toilet and the rest in a wetbag to go in the wash.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

I would just be cautious with ANYTHING that is "flushable." I have heard tooooo many stories and talked to plumbers that say that even though they are more flushable then other products it still causes a lot of plumbing problems and I'd rather not risk it and end up paying a plumber for a little immediate convenience.....just a thought
    Jamie and Mindy
    Expecting Baby #1 at the end of March
    We could not be happier!!!!!!
    We are planning a natural birth at the Wilmington Birth Center in DE!!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by minandjam View Post
    I would just be cautious with ANYTHING that is "flushable." I have heard tooooo many stories and talked to plumbers that say that even though they are more flushable then other products it still causes a lot of plumbing problems and I'd rather not risk it and end up paying a plumber for a little immediate convenience.....just a thought
    We used gdiapers for outings, travel, when DS had a rash or when I ran out of clean CD's. I didn't mind the ripping up of the insert (which you do manually, before the swishing with a stick, BTW). But since the lining doesn't desintegrate it can cause plumbing issues. You may not notice at first, until you have a huge backup or something. That's what happened in our building (old plumbing, though), and they found a bunch of what they thought were wipes in there... I have a feeling they were the linings of the inserts, I felt terrible.