Default 1/2 Marathon at 1 month pregnant WWYD???

Hi,
    I'm an active mom of 1 right now (about to run a 1/2 marathon in Sept). When I was pregnant with my daughter I completed a mini triathlon at 5 months and walked a 1/2 marathon at 9 months (yeah, I was huge and got some crazy looks)

My husband and I are starting to plan for baby #2 and I just realized I have to register on Thursday for the January 1/2 marathon. My question is, if everything goes as planned I will be just a few weeks pregnant at that time. Is it safe to even consider running a 1/2 marathon during that early of a pregnancy?
    Do you think it would hurt my chances of conceiving if I'm running and training that much while TTC?
    TIA

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Honestly, I would not. I'm not saying exercise is bad in pregnancy, and I, personally, had a high risk pregnancy and was not allowed to even think about exercising. But IMO, for a normal pregnancy, god forbid something happens, I would have always wondered if it was cuz I did something extreme like a marathon. but that's just me.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think you would have to be extremely vigilant about not getting dehydrated and also about eating enough calories to support you AND the baby. Make sure to find a good website that calculates the amount of calories you are expending with the training so you know what you need to eat. If your body fat percentage gets too low it can cause problems TTC.

I would definitely check with your OB about TTC and training.
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

When I was going through infertility treatment the doctors were absolutely hard line- no hard work outs. They defined this as sweating. I had done a marathon and triathalons but they said nothing more than a brisk walk. They said that's too hard on an early pregnancy. Now maybe the infertility makes it different but why risk it? Take a year off and you'll get back to it.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am of the thought that if it's part of your exercise routine prior to pregnancy, than you're fine. You sound like a very active person who hopefully understands the limits of your body.

I'd clearly talk to my Dr. but it sounds like you participated in heavy physical activity during your prior pregnancy and your dr. gave you the go ahead.

FWIW, I too run frequently, and my doc encouraged me to continue through TTC as well as early in the pregnancy.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I didn't bother with a HPT till I was more than 1m pg so in that month I just lived life and still felt good. My midwives (and everything I have read from the ACOG...) said that I could continue my exercise program. If you are doing small runs regularly only then randomly running 13 miles, that might not be great. But, if you are a regular distance runner I bet it's fine. Ask your cp just to be sure.

Beth

I walked a 1/2 at 7 mos pg. Since you have previously done a 1/2 while pg and if you are working out for the event before you get pg...I think you'd be ok. Ask your doc, though. My doc restricted me to walking (not running) while pg because I hadn't been running prior to getting pregnant. He said if I had been running before he would have let me continue.

If you don't have an appt with your doc before, call and ask to speak with his/her nurse. They can often answer simple questions like this or ask the doc the question and get back to you. Mine has always been willing to do this.

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you're an active long distance runner, then you should be fine at 4 weeks pregnant. Most people wouldn't know by then anyway. There are plenty of athletes that perform while pregnant because they've been doing it all along.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

If you've trained for it, and still feel up to it, go for it. I know plenty of women who've done 1/2 marathons during pregnancy (and I even know one who did a full marathon at 8wks) with no ill effects. I did an 8k in early pregnancy with my daughter, but a few weeks later, decided not to do the 10miler I'd been training for because I was starting to get nausea and breathlessness during exercise.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

I've been trying to call my dr as pp suggested and run it by her, but I really don't want to call at work and have everyone else hear me asking. I'm going to call, just not sure when.
    I knew I could count on everyone else's opinions... and advise until I speak to the dr. Just hearing other opinions helps make me feel better about trying to do this.