luli13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Is yoga enough??

I started back up with yoga three months ago and I LOVE it. Do it (and /or pilates) 3-4 times a week. Unlike running/aerobics/cardio, I can't wait to get to yoga. So my question is to all you fitness "experts"... Is yoga enough to keep your heart healthy without doing a few days of cardio? I *feel* like I'm getting a crazy good workout (my yoga sessions are 1hour and 15min- one is hot yoga so I sweat like crazy) and my body is responding wonderfully to it. I just hate to run... I never stick to it.

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do pilates 3 or 4 days a week. I had to add cardio but I do the elliptical. I HATE cardio so I only do it 2 days a week. Three if I'm doing penance for some crappy eating. This routine has me in the best shape of my life.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm another Yoga lover and I despise other exercise, but do need to drop a few pounds. I think whether Yoga alone is enough probably depends on your personal fitness level and weight goals. I recently read Jillian Michael's Master Your Metabolism. She says that weight training in combo with cardio should be the focus (eg, bootcamp type workouts, circuits, etc). If you can get 5 hours in of this type of exercise, then you can add on pure cardio as necessary. I don't think that Yoga would completely count hour for hour as weight training in her eyes, but I do count it at least partially. I'm also starting from an admittedly low fitness level, so the Yoga does get my heart rate up quite a bit and I usually experience muscle soreness.

I also just recently tried out her Yogo video with Free on Demand / Exercise TV. It incorporates more movement into the poses to get your heart rate up faster. I've only done it once and I found it pretty challenging, but still doable, the level one anyway. I have a feeling, I wouldn't be able to handle the level two yet!

So, I would say that overall you're doing great if you do Yoga regularly. It was a big step just for me to get there, and now I'm trying to add in more to shed the pounds.

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was doing bikram (hot) yoga 3 times a week and that is an awesome workout! I know some people just do it, but I also try to walk for an hour 3 times a week as well. Is there any way to add a bit more cardio to your week?
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It really depends on the yoga style and intensity. I've seen yoga workouts that are far more cardio intensive than a walk on a treadmill. But yoga workouts that keep your heartrate at that level for a full 30+ minutes are not common.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

If you really really wanted to know, I would get a heart rate monitor. Like a polar watch or something like that. You can see what your Target Heart rate is. If the yoga that you are taking brings your heart into the target heart rate zone, I probalby wouldn't add cardio. If not then I would add elliptical, jogging, biking to your workout routine.
    Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls

It wasn't for me when I was losing weight. Even now, I do prenatal yoga 3x/wk, and it's not too much different from regular yoga classes I've taken, and it isn't doing much to keep me physically fit. I've lost a LOT of muscle tone since stopping aggressive weight training classes, and my cardio fitness is in the tank. I remember reading somewhere that yoga burns like 70 calories an hour. That's not much more than sitting upright in a chair (LOL). I call yoga my flexibility/stretching training, which is essential when you're doing weight lifting and running. Add in cardio at least 3x/wk for the best benefits.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

It really depends. I have taken some Ashtanga and Vinyasa classes that were excellent cardio workouts.

IMO, the best exercise is the one that you will do regularly and stick with. So if you are happy with it, don't sabotage yourself by feeling like you have to add in some more intense cardio at the expense of yoga.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yoga is an excellent cardio workout. So my answer would be..yes!!

luli13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rprav8r View Post
    It really depends. I have taken some Ashtanga and Vinyasa classes that were excellent cardio workouts.

IMO, the best exercise is the one that you will do regularly and stick with. So if you are happy with it, don't sabotage yourself by feeling like you have to add in some more intense cardio at the expense of yoga.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I've come to the conclusion that I will stick with a few days a week of yoga/pilates and throw in a day or two of bike/eliptical/walking the dog and DD/etc.I'm just proud of myself for sticking with yoga for as many months as I have so far Thanks for all of your input, ladies!