Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default 2 week post partum appt?

When my daughter was born in 12/08, (vaginally), my doctor had me go in for a normal 6 week post partum visit where they did a pap and I was good to go. No problems with the delivery, just 2 internal stitches.

My second child was born on 8/1 also vaginally. This time I has no tearing and no problems whatsoever (other than the epidural taking too long to work!) My son was 7 lb 10 ounces, a whole pound and 10 ounces bigger than his sister.

My question is why would my doctor ask to see me in 2 weeks and at 6 weeks? I thought 2 week visits were just for people that had c sections.

Thanks!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had a C-section and didn't see my doc until 6 weeks.

I would ask your doctor why he/she wants to see you twice.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

My doctor does a 2 week appointment just to see how you are doing emotionally. It's to help prevent/stop PPD early on.
    mama to DS 12/08

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SM23Mama21 View Post
    My doctor does a 2 week appointment just to see how you are doing emotionally. It's to help prevent/stop PPD early on.
    I did not have a 2 week appointment, but my doctor asked me to call her and let her know how I was doing.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just had my second c-section on 8/2 and don't see my doc until my six week visit. With my first daughter I didn't get to see my doc until 8 weeks post-partum because she had taken vacation right at my six weeks, and that was also a c-section.

I would call and ask why too.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

I've had two c-sections thus far. The first time, my check up was at 4 weeks PP to check on how the c-section healed. The second time (diff. doctor) it was at 6 weeks.
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just had a normal vaginal delivery with minor tearing and my first visit was at 3 weeks, and now not again until 6 months.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Quote Originally Posted by SM23Mama21 View Post

This was my case as well. I thought the two week was also kind of strange because with DS1 I only went for a 6 week check-up. Different doctor though.
    Big Boy 2/04
    Little Boy 7/08

I had 2 diff drs with my 2 dc and only had 6 week appts with both. no 2-week appt. i tore with both...one naturally and one by episiotomy.
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

PPD check. Also, just to check in make sure all is healing well. I had a 2w with ds2 and was really glad for it. It was nice to make sure things were going well and get some q's answered about the recovery period. I wouldn't be concerned orr think about skipping it, personally.

Beth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast