niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default DS constantly clearing his throat

For the last days DS is constantly clearing his throat. He isn't sick, he just clears his throat every 10 seconds or so - well, it feels that often to me. He said his throat tickles.

DH does this if he has too much dairy, lactose intolerant, but DS has never had issues with dairy and he ate/drank much less than normal as I was out of milk for a day. I know some people are having issues with allergies, maybe it could be that?

Wondering if I should call the Dr. Honestly, it's driving me crazy to hear him, so I want to find a way to stop it, for DS and for me.

Thanks.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sounds like seasonal allergies to me.

My throat has been itching and so have my eyes. It's just that time
    of year.

Have you tried giving him some Benadryl to see if it helps?
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Could be allergies, could be asthma, also could also be a "tick" (the behavioral kind, not the insect ). Being on certain medications can cause it (this was the case with Josh), but sometimes it just happens on it's own. If you Google throat clearning in children, alot will come up in regards to that.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DD did the same thing. She got sick for a bit when it started, then once she was well, she still cleared her throat/coughed a little. It had become a habit. I knew nothing was wrong to make her do it, other than it was just habit. If something were wrong, she would do it an night, in her sleep, etc. She didn't. Eventually we began calling her out on it every.single.time. she did it. She eventually got annoyed that she was *in trouble* (without really being in trouble) and finally she stopped doing it. She also has seasonal allergies, and was on allergy medicine - which was doing nothing for the throat issue.

She also tried to get in the habit of grinding her teeth - we had to stop that too.

Not sure how old your son is. My DD was doing this when she was 3 years old. She's 4 now.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Thanks everyone. I had to go to the Dr. office to pick up DS's school medical forms. I asked the nurse and she said possibly allergies and to try one of the OTC medicines. If it's still there in a few more days, bring him in. A friend of mine has asthma and she does the throat clearing thing too - so we'll see what happens. He's with another friend today and she just IMed and said he's doing it less than he did yesterday. She really noticed yesterday. It was driving me crazy last night as trying to read him a book..felt like every 5 seconds kind of thing.