SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default SAHM thinking about going back to work

I've been a SAHM for 5 years now. Obviously, my resume is way outdated and I have no clue how to update it and what about the gap? What have you done to update your resumes and/or cover letters?

On a side note, I'm also in a lot of conflict about returning to work. I have three kids (5, 3 and 1 yo). Obviously, day care cost is an issue hence staying home. I know right now if I look hard enough I might be able to find something that covers day care costs exactly. DH currently works but his job is extremely stressful and doesn't allow for him to have a life really. He's been chugging at it and he's worried that with the way his current company is he is always worried about losing his job. So lately he's been talking to me about starting to look for a job, not necessarily for extra money but for "security". Now DS1 will start half day kindergarten in September and so still I will basically need day care for three kids...which is costly. I don't think now is the best time for me to go back to work since the kids will still need day care and I doubt I can find day care I will like for the price I can cover with the salary I can get, IYKWIM. We don't have family nearby so we have to look for day care...I dunno I'm thinking now isn't the time to go back to work...maybe at least when DS1 and DS2 are in full time school it might be worthwhile to consider.

Anyways, I was wondering and looking for advice on the issue. Thank you for your advice.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You need to actually price out child care in your area. I would look at what the costs are for full-time daycares (including preschools with before and after care), in-home daycares and a nanny (which may be most economical with 3 kids).

I would also investigate what before and after care costs for school age children are in your area.

I don't know what your line of work is, but you may want to investigate part time options to reduce your child care costs.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

It depends on what kind of salary you'd be looking at--you'd have to analyze that v. the cost of childcare. And also the longterm growth potential for your career.

My oldest is in public school, so we just have to pay for aftercare ($250/month) and my daughter is in her last year of preschool + aftercare. Those expenses aren't a big enough chunk out of my paycheck (plus, I get great family benefits and we paid pretty much HALF my current salary per month just for healthcare) for it not to be worth it.

When our baby arrives, we will only have 6 months where he is in daycare and my middle child will be in preschool. By next fall, I'll have two kids in public school and one in full time daycare.

You also have to think about what it is you do and how things like potential for growth (raises, promotions) and retirement savings factor in. I went back to work when my kids were 4 & 2 and paying for preschool and the afterschool nanny we used at the time ate up about 1/3 of my salary--but since I started I've had pay raises and bonuses and am up for a promotion next year, and my company matches w/ 401k...so all in all, even though the initial analysis of salary v. childcare expenses didn't make it look like work was an overwhelmingly obvious choice, in the long run, I think we'll be better off in ten years or so from now with me working than not. (Plus, work makes me happy, a saner mom and all that jazz.)

As for getting back into it--well, I never really got out of it. I freelanced for the company I'd worked before my son was born, networked, got new connections, and ended up working at least 10 hrs a week (when baby was napping then when he was in a.m. preschool etc.) pretty much during the entire time I was a SAHM. So when I was ready to go back, I had references and clips and a nice looking resume. My starting salary at this job was exactly what I'd been paid when I left my job pre-kids, in fact.

If you have been out of the working world and haven't done contract work or anything part time, I'd work on building connections and getting back in the game first...and then looking for work full time. Depending on your field, of course--maybe you can just jump right back in if you're in some fields, but with mine, it was important to stay current with technology changes, trend changes, etc.
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I think it all depends on your field.

For me, I kept in contact with my old boss, twice a year lunches. DS started pre-K last year 5 days a week, so I started to think about work and she knew that. They contacted me in Feb. of this year for some project work from home. It's only part-time, but fits in perfectly with family life. It's only until the end of this year, but it might get extended again. I would start with contacting people you used to work with and setting up lunches and put some feelers out.

I agree with looking longer term as well as short-term. I'm going to apply to go back to school. It will take 3-4 years, and I won't be working in that time. But when you look at longer term career prospects, it will be better for us then if I started work now in my old field. So sometimes longer perspective makes up for any short-term loss.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You really have to do a deeper analysis than taking your salary and comparing that to what your childcare costs will be. Like a PP said, you could have retirement matching (plus the growth on that money), raises, promotions, insurance benefits, perks, etc. that all play a factor in what you actually earn at your job. It's much, much more than just a salary IMO. My benefits (not including the growth on any of the matching) constitute at least 50% of my salary. I don't make much salary wise at all...but the benefits are fantastic so it's worth it to me that I pay a large chunk of my salary to childcare costs.

Also, you have to remember childcare is just temporary.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Besides finding out the actual costs of daycare, if you're torn about going back to work for reasons other than that, I'd look for a middle gorund option if that's possible in your line of work. For example you could do some freelance work occassionally to stay connected and updated, and then when your two oldest are in school you can look for a FT job. Or maybe you can find a PT job now.

I'm doing the first option, I work on occassional projects for my old employer, I work mostly from home. And I know that if I want or need to go back FT it'll be easier since I've connected to the job market.

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks ladies.

I guess at first, I consider just childcare costs since I assumed that everything else is through DH (healthcare and stuff like that). As for benefits I guess I come to feel that it's not a huge role...just because there's aren't huge companies in the city we live in so everything is just so-so.

I've been completely out of work...no contact with my former "career" and it's not easly found here. I did "freelance" for a few months before I stay home but that opportunity was closed off to me...company told me they were not allowed to do that type of freelance work anymore (which is a whole other story...more who you know rather than what you know). So I know I'm way out of the loop. Basically, I know I will be starting from scratch...other than my college degree in Business and knowing I will work as hard as I can and am quick to learn...I'd be starting at an entry level position which will pay peanuts...basically enough to hopefully cover day care costs.

Around here, a good day care center is about $200 a week...my friend does home day care, and she told me she charges about $125 a week...so still for three kids...$375...or $400. My only issue with my friend's home day care is that my kids will get no educational benefit. I know at a day care center, they would have some learning opportunities if you know what I mean. That's where I find day care to be important since they (my younger two) will not get to go to preschool if I cannot drive them there.

My better judgment tells me to wait until my oldest two are in full day school. But I just also thought it might be good to get my resume together and throw it around and see what might be found. So I want to try to fix it up at least...who knows.