Default Cost to Recover Furniture?

We are almost done with a big remodel to the Kitchen,LR, DR area of our house. I want to get new furniture for the LR because what we had wasn't very useful or comfortable. BUT we will have used up our budgeted amount on the remodel so no real extra left over for good/new furniture.

So I am thinking of 2 options.
    1. There is an outlet near me that sells returned, dented, scratched etc furniture and other items from Pottery Barn some other catalog retailers. I could get a PB couch for around $500 and then have it covered. I don't like the loose look of slip covers-I would get actual covers made for each cushion and the couch etc. (the furniture is often in colors that would not work for me and I probably would prefer a pattern)

2. Hit around 5-7 consignment shops to look for furniture. I am hoping that the furniture would be less expensive because it is used. Maybe I would luck into a color I could use. Or I could recover it as above.

There is a Calico Corners near me that has upholstery fabrics and displays it in coordinating sets so it would be pretty easy to select fabrics. I can do basic sewing but I don't have a machine and I know I won't be able to do seat cushion covers. What's a ball park figure for getting a couch or chair covered?

Any other ideas for what I could do?
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you mean re-upholstered? In my area I think it s $500-800 for a chair and $800-1200 for a couch. I would only re-upholster a very high quality piece.

Can you look at pbk for a non-slipcovered sofa. Write out your name and phone on an index card and ask the outlet people to call you when a good-condition upholstered sofa comes into the outlet.

Alternatively, I would buy one nice item - - maybe a nice, durable couch - - and then come up with some short-term cheaper stuff for the rest of the items (craigslist furniture; while some ikea stuff does not last I have had great luck with the hemnes line and the brown-black finish looks more expensive than it actually is).
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014