maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How is Pottery Barn's customer service?

I sent them an email earlier today and haven't heard back. Was wondering if I should expect to or not.

Quick backstory - I bought a silk (yes, stupid) duvet for our master bedroom a couple of years ago and the silk is almost disintegrating - there is one pretty major tear on the side, not near a seam and I can see where a few more might begin too. I wouldn't care so much if I hadn't spent over $300 for the duvet and shams but it was a pretty big splurge and it didn't last long at all considering the price. And we don't have pets that sleep on the bed and I've always dry cleaned only. I'm not very happy (karma for me spending that much, I guess)

I didn't know if I can hope that PB might help me, just say "sorry, too bad" or not even reply.
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

They're generally pretty good. That said, I really wouldn't hold out much hope. That way, if anything happens, you can view it all as a plus.

There are a couple of key points for me.

1) Silk? I see you already got this, but silk isn't the most durable material. Accordingly, I wouldn't expect it to last quite as long as, say, cotton. I mean, it's like a glass bowl vs a plastic one. The glass one may be more expensive, but that doesn't mean you should expect it to be quite as durable as the plastic one.

2) It's been 2 years. I mean, if it were less than a year, the story would sound a lot more sympathetic. It's pretty hard to gauge what is reasonable wear and tear, but at 2 years, you're really pushing it.

I have had pretty good experences wth them.
    I would gve them a call if they don't respond to the email.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
    They're generally pretty good. That said, I really wouldn't hold out much hope. That way, if anything happens, you can view it all as a plus.

There are a couple of key points for me.

1) Silk? I see you already got this, but silk isn't the most durable material. Accordingly, I wouldn't expect it to last quite as long as, say, cotton. I mean, it's like a glass bowl vs a plastic one. The glass one may be more expensive, but that doesn't mean you should expect it to be quite as durable as the plastic one.

2) It's been 2 years. I mean, if it were less than a year, the story would sound a lot more sympathetic. It's pretty hard to gauge what is reasonable wear and tear, but at 2 years, you're really pushing it.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking - the two years is what really is the pushing point, I know. I honestly bought it before realizing it was silk - I mean, frankly, I hadn't heard of many silk duvets (the same reason they fall apart, I'm guessing) so just assumed it was cotton until I got it in the mail. I would've returned it, but Pottery Barn isn't exactly Kmart quality, so I figured it would be fine. And I know everyone thinks they take care of things better than the next person, but generally I do. Bites.

Anyway, time will tell. I mainly wanted them to know - it would be great if they gave me something in return, but I also think they should make sure their customers know it's not a durable product.
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Well, they might actually let you return it. I just wouldn't hold out hope cuz I do think it's on the more unlikely side. I like to temper my expectations, particularly on iffy situations so if I ever do get a positive result, it feels even better.

They've treated me VERY well IMO, but it's always been in the return period. I suppose I could be mad at what happened with my ottoman, but their offer was so generous, I'm still giddy years later. That 2 year thing may be the critical fact that prevents them from doing anything.

I think they have great customer service, IMO. I returned a rug that was 4 years old because it started to smell TERRIBLE. It turns out the latex backing was disintegrating and let out a noxious smell. Obscure, I know, but I looked online and found whole message boards of people who were complaining about the smell of their rugs. I called two different stores to ask what they could do for me. Both had heard of this problem. One told me that they would give me $250 towards a new rug, and the other said they would exchange it for something new (no cost to me!). I have found their customer service to be excellent in other situations as well, so give it a shot!
    Mom to DD 8/09