Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I use Desitin but only when I notice redness. So less than once a week. We have never had an actual rash.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    Oh I don't use cream every day. Only when I start noticing redness.
    when I just saw "daily" in the post, I came back to correct my answer - only use Dr. Smith's when there is redness. Usually gone in one application.

I use A&D Original Ointment (or Target's brand) at EVERY diaper change. The boys rarely have diaper rash, but if they do I use Desistin Original (purple tube, if pretty bad put Lotrimin under it); if terrible diaper rash, which DS1 gets if he takes antibiotics, I use Rx strength Butt Paste. Your Ped can call in one for you, we found Greer's Goo not as effective, Butt Paste better.
    DS#1: 11.06.07
    DS#2: 09.04.09

PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by drako View Post
    I switch between three.

Angel Baby Bottom Balm
    http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Mama-Ang.../dp/B000JVEEW0
    This is the one we use. I love it as it doesn't leave the zinc residue and is super easy to apply. We put a thin coat with every diaper change, DS would get redness only rarely with particularly explosive or irritating stools and it heals it quickly. I also used it on my underarm rash and it helped soothe it.

Prior to that we used California Baby Calming diaper cream and it was nice too, except I hated the white residue and found it messy to apply. I also suspected sometimes the strong essential oils in irritated DS a bit after painful bowel movements, so we switched to the clear balm instead.

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I see. Yes, I was asking about use everyday. We do use a cream after every poopy diaper change (about 2 a day), and lately, like I said, it's been Desitin creamy. Wondering if it's a bad thing to use every day. which is why I asked. I feel the need to apply some cream because wiping his bottom with a wet cloth is going to make it dry and rough, and I don't want it to burn because of friction. Maybe I should just use his regular body moisturiser...

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The only diaper cream I have used on almost 2 yo DS is Aquaphor. I have A&D and a zinc cream on hand as I used those on DD, but the Aquaphor has taken care of every bit of redness/rash. I generally apply it once or twice a day after a BM diaper. Lately I have noticed DS's skin is a bit dry around the edges of his diaper area as the result of hot, dry weather and lots of swimming, so I am just spreading the Aquaphor a bit more down his legs.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

With all 4 kids I have done the same thing. I've tried Desitin and triple paste and I hated that It wouldn't wipe off so I really couldn't see if their rashes were healing. So, I started doing this with my first baby and stuck with it:

I don't put anything daily on their diaper area. If I see some redness starting I won't use a baby wipe like usual. Instead I dab the area with a really wet wash cloth and dab it dry. If I have some time, I let it dry naturally (I kind of fan it with my hand). Then I put a thick coating of vaseline on it. The redness is almost always cleared up by the next day and by then the Vaseline has absorbed or worn off. If the redness is still there, I simply repeat the wet washcloth and Vaseline step. Once their skin is back to normal, I don't put anything on their bum.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 08-12-2010 at 12:26 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kaylee31 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use A&D or Vaseline at every diaper change. And Desitin if there's any redness at all, which is rare. DS has sensitive skin, so I got into the habit of using it to prevent chafing or irritation.
    DS - 07/09 - Mr. Tempermental
    DD - 02/12 - Dollface
    New arrival expected 06/14

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wondering if it's a bad thing to use every day. which is why I asked. I feel the need to apply some cream because wiping his bottom with a wet cloth is going to make it dry and rough, and I don't want it to burn because of friction.
    I don't see how it would do any harm but I don't think it's necessary, either. I only use cream when there's redness - maybe twice a month.

I use TushieWipes which are AWESOME. They're relatively wet but don't leave that sticky residue, and they're chemical-free. Sometimes I use a supersoft baby washcloth to pat the diaper area dry before putting on the diaper.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2