wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Update in post 1. DD1 fell down the stairs. Ugh.

Update:
    DD1 woke up fine this a.m. and was eager to tell DH about her fall and bonking her head. I checked on her several times throughout the night and she was sleeping peacefully. DH is off today so he's home with the girls and keeping an eye on her. Of course I'm feeling her head all up again this morning and I swear certain bumps and ridges feel different than last night (like last night's ridge doesn't seem so pronounced) so that got me wondering if she had swelling last night that went down or swelling now that's covering up that ridge, or perhaps I'm just a paranoid lunatic. Probably the latter! I asked DH to keep an eye out for increased irritability, increased sleepiness, etc. But I keep telling myself that likely if something was wrong she'd complain of a headache or just seem off, but she's her normal active self.

Feeling like a crappy mommy right now. DD1 (3yo) and I were going upstairs for pj's and books. DH and I usually walk up behind her but she's 3 and so good at stairs and I was rushing so I got ahead of her. I got to the top and turned around and when she was about 7 stairs up (about 1/2 way) I saw her stand more upright, start to lose her balance, start kind of windmilling her arms to catch herself and then tumble a$$ over tea kettle all the way down. It's carpeted but a laminate landing. She immediately cried and sat up. I of course immediately start examining her for breaks and bleeding. We went to the couch and just hugged each other. She cried for about 10mins and I tried to get my stomach out of my throat. My heart was racing and then I'm trying to negotiate with myself on whether to call the ped, take her to after hours, etc. Worst of all as I'm feeling around her head I'm feeling every dent, bump, and ridge and wondering if that's new or if it's always been that way. I mean, how often do you study your child's skull? Obviously I should! I ended up not calling or taking her anywhere. She watched Imagination Movers and seems fine. No vomiting. No real complaints. I kept trying to ask her if her head hurt and if yes to show me where. She'd point to the end of a stand of hair or to a different spot each time. And she's wiggling and not paying attention and I'm trying to get this toddler to sit still and tell me what hurts. I guess if she couldn't pinpoint a complaint then she must be ok. There is one spot that feels kind of like a ridge (more of a line than a round bump) but she doesn't yelp or wince when I touch it so it might just be the shape of her head. She's sleeping peacefully now.

Of course DH is 2hrs away at a meeting...

Did I do the right thing? Should I have taken her to be looked at?
    Last edited by wendibird22; 08-11-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: update
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

You poor thing! Your post made me a little teary, but more for you than for her... I can only imagine watching that happen, like in slow motion! I'm sure she's fine, kids are so resilient. Sounds like you know what to look for... DD took a fall with my mom once and they called the ped and were told to keep an eye on her for 48 hours, and if there were no uncontrollable crying spells or vomiting, then they didn't even need to be called again. You are NOT a crappy mom! Stuff like that happens. Just watch her playing happily and try to reassure yourself that she's fine. Hugs to YOU, though!
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

Sorry to hear about Dd's fall. I probably would have taken her in but that would have been more for my own peace of mind. I will tell you though that just this morning I was talking with my friend who's child hit his head falling back on concrete on Saturday who did not have a concussion and who's other child (the DD) did have a concussion in the past. She said that even though Ds had a hard fall with a significant bump she truly felt that it was different than when Dd had the concussion. She said DS was crying right away and then had normal energy with her DD who did have a concussion she didn't cry at all and seemed out of it right away and then was vomitting. So based on that discussion you are probably ok. Just keep an eye on her and bring her in if anything doesn't seem right.

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i'm sorry dd fell, but she sounds like she is fine. kids are pretty tough and if something hurt i'm sure she would let you know.

my mother told me that my brother fell down an entire flight of concrete stairs (13-14 steps) in the apartment we lived in when we were little in NYC. he was fine.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think you did the right thing. It is what I would have done for sure. So sorry what a scare! Do keep an eye on her.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

DS2 fell down the stairs when he was a toddler at my parents house. They were carpeted, but still... it's an awful feeling. I didn't take him anywhere since he seemed fine. And over a year later, he's still fine.
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

UGH. I don't know the right thing to do...but I'd be checking on her during the night.

Actually, I emailed my ER doc uncle a couple hours ago b/c DD walked into the path the swing one of her brothers was in. Hit her right upside the eye (yikes), kinda on the temple. She's all excited that it was turning pink and will likely make her eye purple. Why is she excited? Pink and purple are girl colors. of course!

Keep us posted on your DD. Did you ever calm yourself down?

Thanks all for the virtual hugs and encouragement. Everyone always says to trust your mommy instinct and I guess mine was telling me not to overreact. I hope I'm right. Luckily I have an 8mos old who will probably wake up several times throughout the night so that'll give me an excuse to check on DD1 a few times.

Of course I'll be whacking DH upside the head because he isn't responding to phone calls or texts. Isn't the point of having a cell phone to be accessible?

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Did you ever calm yourself down?
    Not yet. I could really go for a drink but DD2 is teething and has already woken up once to nurse. I know the minute I suck that thing down she'll wake up again!

Oh and DD1 LOVES purple so yeah, she'd be excited about that too.