Default My Son Refuses To Poop on the Potty

My son stopped using diapers last summer, except when he needs to poop he will ask for a diaper. He was 2 years and 9 months when he made this partial transition. He has never pooped in his pants or peed. But we have tried everything to get him to say bye bye to the diapers for good. At first we didn't push the issue just asked nicely, "lets use the potty". And he always has responded with "No I don;t want too". We've taken away a few key items in his life and have bought toys, showed it to him but say, "you can have this when you stop pooping on the potty. We've offered all kinds of bribes but still he just wants to poop in the diaper. He will be 4 in 2 months and in 4 months we will have another baby in the hosue. If we don't nick this in the butt soon we screwed. Any suggestions? Is there a potty training boot camp I can send him too? just kidding.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

ds1 was potty trained pretty quickly for pee, but poop took longer. he didn't want to go in the toilet. we never went back to diapers. we would watch and try to catch him in the act. and race to the toilet. even if it dropped out of the undies, we gave enormous praise. he was so scared of the toilet for poop. he had more accidents than i can count. each time i would say in a stern way, "poop goes in the toilet. you need to keep your underwear clean." after i would get him cleaned up, i would give him a small "break" (time out). eventually it worked. i believe that poop took about 3 extra weeks. hth
    neeley

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have the same issue, DS was pee trained 2 months ago, but asks for a diaper for poo, and today I was wondering how long we'd be stuck here. I don't want to push him for fear of him holding it in. The first couple days of potty training he did, and I ended up giving in to the diaper for poo since he was so uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by neeleymartin View Post
    ds1 was potty trained pretty quickly for pee, but poop took longer. he didn't want to go in the toilet. we never went back to diapers. we would watch and try to catch him in the act. and race to the toilet. even if it dropped out of the undies, we gave enormous praise. he was so scared of the toilet for poop. he had more accidents than i can count. each time i would say in a stern way, "poop goes in the toilet. you need to keep your underwear clean." after i would get him cleaned up, i would give him a small "break" (time out). eventually it worked. i believe that poop took about 3 extra weeks. hth
    I'll try this approach. Hope it works.

saleenl is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My DS was so, so stubborn when it came to pooping in the toilet. He would request a pull-up every time or wait for nap and it made us nuts! I think this went on for about 8 months. Nothing we tried worked, not bribes, not praise, not reasoning.

My first step was to tell him that he needed to sit on the potty in his pull-up when pooping. No more going outside to his favorite bush or hiding behind the couch! My son is very curious and scientific and I used an idea I read about on here a long time ago - I asked him what he thought would happen if his diaper had a hole in it. He was very curious and wanted to know, so I cut out a hole and told him that we would try it next time. The next time he needed to poop I put on the pull-up (with a large hole) and sat him on the toilet. He was very excited to tell me that the poop was in the potty! After that, I had to let him wear a pull-up with such a large hole that it was almost only leg elastic and a waistband but as long as he had it on, he kept going in the potty.

Eventually, I was slower and slower to respond to his need for a pull-up until one day he asked for his "pull-up" one day and I told him to wait a few minutes. He sighed loudly, said "never mind," and that was the end of that.

Sorry to hear about the pooping in a diaper part. That was so frustrating and I remember feeling like it would never end!

Quote Originally Posted by saleenl View Post
    Eventually, I was slower and slower to respond to his need for a pull-up until one day he asked for his "pull-up" one day and I told him to wait a few minutes. He sighed loudly, said "never mind," and that was the end of that.
    Great idea about the big hole.
    The 'nevermind' had me chuckling.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama

My coworker would put a diaper in the training potty for her DD, that was the only why she would go on the potty.