Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default sweeping the membranes

So, does sweeping the membranes work, or has that been ruled out? The midwife discouraged it with DD #1, but I think she said it was because I wasn't past my due date at the time. Her office's Ob was for it today (DD #2), when there was no midwife for me to ask. Being the impatient, learn-everything-the-hard-way woman I am, I went for it. (Wowch.) So far, nothing. Anyone had success with sweeping the membranes? I feel kind of silly for doing it now...

It worked the only time I had it done. With DC #3. My midwife swept my membranes on a Monday afternoon. She told me to go home, have a nice dinner, take two sleeping pills and a nice hot bath, and that she'd see me in the morning to have the baby. I thought, "sure, whatever." Sure enough, our DD was born at 7:07 Tuesday morning! I'd say it worked for me.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

my OB did it at my 38 week appt, and the very next day i started going into labor (DS was born the day after that). so in my case, it worked i guess.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hated it. It sorta worked in my case. I was 11 days past due date with dd1 and facing an induction on day 14. So I "agreed" to my midwife sweeping the membranes. They did it 2 or 3 times that day and I did go into labor that night. But the labor progressed so slowly and erratically, I feel like my body wasn't ready for it yet and the sweeping helped bring it on, but didn't sustain it.

for Sandy Hook

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I used to host a labor board and frequently asked people their success rates with it. 20-40% was the success rate I got out of about 100 moms.

I had it done with ds1 and went into labor 2 days later, I was 41w5d. My water broke at the onset of labor and I always wonder if the m.s. was to blame. Didn't hurt, no biggie. I had researched risks (infection, cramping, spotting, getting my hopes up...) and benefits (working within 72 hours) and went for it.

Had it done at around 41w3d and was in labor hours later. The CNM who did it has a reputation in the birth community in my city for having good success. No water breaking this time.

Beth

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Worked for me for DD2. Membranes swept at 3pm and I was in labor the next morning. I was 38wk 5d. I've heard that if you body is ready for labor it'll work and if not, it won't.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Had it done 2-3x. No go. I was actually contracting, they did it, and I stopped contracting. They said it was the first time they'd seen that happen!
    DS1 - Oct. '09

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It worked for me! I was really nervous when my OB said that he would sweep them, because I heard it REALLY hurts. It wasn't really painful at all, though. I went into labor 2 days later; I was already dilated to like a 4, though.

maiaann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had it done twice (DD1 & DD2). I found it EXTREMELY painful and it was unsuccessful in both cases.
    DD1 10/01
    DD2 02/07
    DD3 07/09

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

had it done with DD2 but I didn't even realize that was what my ob was doing, I thought he was just measuring me, and thought wow that was more painful than the measurement I had with DD1. He told me I was less than 2 cm dialated. My water broke 7 hrs. later. I was 38 weeks 5 days, and delivered DD2 16 hrs. after membranes were stripped.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast