Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help! Conflicted about Ergo v. Beco Gemini

I could really use some advice here. I cannot seem to decide on a new carrier, but I've narrowed it down to the Beco Gemini (haven't yet found a store nearby that carries it) or the Ergo (which I just purchased with a gift card from Buy Buy Baby but have not even taken out of the box yet). My problem is that emotionally I really like the Beco; it's so beautiful and sleek. It seems like a really good carrier, too. Then there's the Ergo, which seems good and solid but very no-nonsense and plain (that's already how I dress, so maybe I need a jazzier carrier?). The Beco costs a little more, but I'm okay with that. I do have to go to greater lengths to get the Beco, while the Ergo is at home already. I'm afraid I'll feel disappointed with the Ergo, knowing I could have had the beautiful Beco. Clearly, I've got a head v. heart conflict here. Would you go for the practical choice (Ergo) or the emotional one (the Beco, which I haven't even tried on)? Thank you so much if you've read all of this and can offer any feedback!

I love my Ergo and so does DD. It is super comfortable and I don't even feel her weight at all. As far as looks are concerned, I think it looks fine (I haven't seen a Beco Gemini). People always tell me how cute and cozy DD looks in it. Regardless of what the carrier looks like, a beautiful baby always steals the show

I don't have any stores near me that carry any of the better carriers so I had to purchase online. My DD is expecting her first child in November and wanted a very good carrier as she plans to "wear" as much as possible. We contacted Frogmama at www.frogmama.com and she was a tremendous help! She asked a lot of questions to see what her needs, desires, budget, etc. were and then recommended the Beco Butterfly II for her. She even takes payments! I'd recommend checking with her (just send her an email from her site) and she'll get back to you quickly. Her name is Lorene and she's wonderful!

Beth

Well, I wear my baby a lot. Some days I don't think anyone even sees what shirt I've got on. So I admit to being very happy that my mei tai and pikkolo are pretty. I've got an ergo waiting on dd to get a bit bigger, but it is the black one with the elaborate embroidery. Not quite as much my style--got a deal on it.

Catherine

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, I have the camel colored ergo and love it. I just wanted something neutral for a boy or a girl (turns out I gave birth to girls). Didn't want black in our Texas heat. I also have a gypsy mama wrap that I love and use a lot.

It is my experience to go with what's more comfortable!! If you really like the Beco, then order it from somewhere that you can return it. Try them both out for a week. See which one you really like better.

If you find that you like them the same, then go with the one that's easier to wash! If you plan on wearing your baby a lot, then plan to have drool, suck marks, spit up, and possibly poo/pee on this carrier. It's a fact of baby life.

While it's nice to be able to be cute while toting a baby, to me functionality and comfort are far more worthy a concern. If I want cute, I'll get a cute diaper bag.

I also like the Ergo because I got the backpack that can attach to it as well. That's a nice feature.
    Last edited by lhafer; 08-13-2010 at 02:57 PM.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The Ergo seriously rocks. It just does. I have pretty carriers that get no use because they're just that. Buy yourself a nice jacket and then use the carrier that works better for you!

I second the recc for calling Lorene at frogmama.com. She can talk you thru the different features. Laurel at carry me away is another good resource. Also check thebabywearer.com for reviews of the Gemini.

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    The Ergo seriously rocks. It just does. I have pretty carriers that get no use because they're just that. Buy yourself a nice jacket and then use the carrier that works better for you!
    Love the ergo. Especially now that DS is bigger (24 lbs) - barely feel like I'm wearing him. And when you're wearing them, you don't see the carrier anyway . (Plus, with a plain carrier, DH is probably more inclined to wear it!)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't know. I LOVE my Beco Butterfly II and bought it site unseen. I did get a chance to try out the Ergo before and I didn't like how it fit. I'm pretty thin and I couldn't seem to get it tight enough and it felt like the baby was leaning too far back on me. My Beco fits me much better and I LOVE that I can fold it up, secure it, and put it in my diaper bag. Why don't you try out your Ergo and see how you like it and if you don't love it then get the Beco. Or order the Beco now, try them both out, and then keep the one you like best and return the other one.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    check thebabywearer.com for reviews of the Gemini.
    The Gemini is too new, thebabywearer.com doesn't have any reviews yet.

Listen to your heart! Go BECO!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't watched these, but these are some video reviews of the gemini

http://www.homemademom.com/2010/08/b...at-reveal.html

http://sugarpopribbons.blogspot.com/...er-review.html

This one compares the Gemini to the Butterfly II: http://www.nurturebabynaturally.com/...terfly-ii.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast