Default Moms of dc's with food allergies - what to use for bread?

DS is about to turn 2 and i'd really like to try getting him to eat some sandwich type things. He has allergies to dairy, egg, wheat and peanut. I cannot find anything that is semi-decent to use in place of bread. I don't care if it's pita or wrap like either, just something!
    We are stuck in a food rut majorly. TIA!

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't know where you live, but most grocery stores carry gluten free bread now. I think our local Walmart even does. The harder part is finding without egg or milk too. Do you have local health food store? They often carry Ezekiel bread which is safe: http://www.foodforlife.com/our-products. If you don't have these options, I'd buy some rice flour and bake your own.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

Do corn tortillas work?
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Do corn tortillas work?
    I tried corn tortillas back a while now that you mention it and he wasn't a fan but I had forgotten all about them! I will have to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    I don't know where you live, but most grocery stores carry gluten free bread now. I think our local Walmart even does. The harder part is finding without egg or milk too. Do you have local health food store? They often carry Ezekiel bread which is safe: http://www.foodforlife.com/our-products. If you don't have these options, I'd buy some rice flour and bake your own.
    Thanks! I just looked at their product lines and they have safe english muffins too! I did a store locator and found several stores that have their lines nearby.

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD's allergic to Wheat, egg white and nuts and I'm having a hard time providing a variety for DD, I can only begin to imagine what you're going through with a dairy allergy too. I feel bad for the little ones too. DD keep asking for Bread.

I've made bread from Gluten free floor that I bought off Amazon but it didn't come so well, it crumples and then it becomes too hard. I bought from a health store frozen bread that's gluten and egg free, same thing.. its very crumply and DD doesn't like it. As far as bread goes I'm out of ideas and don't know what else to do.

I was able to fine frozen waffles that's wheat and egg free and but I'm not sure about dairy.

I buy a lot of stuff from www.glutenfreemall.com, maybe you can find some things.

Good luck.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

We can't eat any of that plus corn, soy and lots of other stuff, so I can't be exact on each of the brands and what they do or don't have. Just double check on each, but I'm hoping some of this might pan out for the op or pp.

Kinnikinnick is a highly recommended brand in terms of flavor/texture. We've never had it as it has some of the things that we can't eat. I believe some of it may have egg or dairy, but I really think that something from them may work. The pizza crust was something I've heard recommended several times. I know you're looking for bread, but had to throw that in there.

Bob's Red Mill makes lots of different flours. On the back of the packages they have recipes and on their website they have recipes. We used to make their pizza crust. I LOVED it. Totally tasted normal. Unfortunately, we're allergic to the fava/chick bean flour you use to make it. Super easy, super good. This is my biggest recommendation above the others.

Trader Joe's carries a rice flour wrap. Not sure that your little one will like a wrap, but it tastes normal and has the normal texture.

Ener-G Foods also makes what they call a pizza shell. I thought it was digusting but my girls enjoyed eating them. I got them through a donation to a silent auction by Ener-G but couldn't find them locally after that. They were made of Tapioca flour. It was sort of like pita bread or a low-rise focaccia and the size of an individual pizza.

I'd recommend checking out the recipes in the Gluten-Free Chef (I think that's the famous book). There's a woman who wrote several cookbooks. Her first book wasn't as good because she didn't use a variety of flours. Her later books used tapioca, chickpea, sorghum - all stuff that tastes much better and has a better consistency. We couldn't make her recipes because we're allergic to all those flours, but I'm thinking you might luck out.

Because we can't eat the above stuff, we use rice cakes as hamburger buns or for sandwiches. Paskecz makes very thin, tight rice cakes that are either square or small and round. My girls love both, and we get them through amazon with free shipping.

Good luck!

DS has dairy and soy allergies and we had trouble with bread, too. I was able to use Kangaroo Pita but I suspect that it contains wheat.

I would highly recommend getting a bread maker. Its a bit of an expense, but I make my own bread every week. Thankfully I already had one and DS' allergies aren't so severe that we couldn't use what I had (due to cross contamination from prior use).

This allows me to control what goes in the bread. My bread maker has a "Super Rapid" setting and some recipes for breads that can be made in 1 hr. Its also a much cheaper alternative to buying the specialty products. It got to being such a part of our routine DH makes the bread more often than I do, now. He gets done with work on Friday and makes bread and brownies (our allergen free treat for the week).

I know it sounds like a lot of time, but literally I measure about 6 ingredients into a pan and push "go." 1 hr later I pull the bread out and let it cool. By the time we're done putting dinner food away and clearing the dishes, the bread is ready to cut and store for the week.