Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Please, please google the saftey information about crib bumpers. I think it is a shame they still sell them in the US. In a lot of places they are banned. When I go to my friends houses with infants they are always teasing me since I want to go in and take the bumpers off the cribs. (I've never done that- yet!)
    FWIW - As to bumper safety - My pediatrician was fine with crib bumpers. And their group is super conservative - i.e. recommending rear facing in the car seat until age 2 (asks at every appt if LO is still rear-facing). If my LO did not have some sort of bumper, we would have more issues, since he is constantly sleeping against the side of the crib. They do make breathable bumpers and some bumpers are thinner than others...
    Like many controversial topics, I think this is one that people need to choose based on what their peds recommend and what they feel is right for them. I have seen studies that show both that crib bumpers are perfectly safe and that they are not. By the time my LO could move enough to be against the bumper, he was also able to move his head away from the bumper....

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
    FWIW - As to bumper safety - My pediatrician was fine with crib bumpers. And their group is super conservative - i.e. recommending rear facing in the car seat until age 2 (asks at every appt if LO is still rear-facing). If my LO did not have some sort of bumper, we would have more issues, since he is constantly sleeping against the side of the crib. They do make breathable bumpers and some bumpers are thinner than others...
    Like many controversial topics, I think this is one that people need to choose based on what their peds recommend and what they feel is right for them. I have seen studies that show both that crib bumpers are perfectly safe and that they are not. By the time my LO could move enough to be against the bumper, he was also able to move his head away from the bumper....
    I've been pretty anti-bumper too. Ds1 had none and was fine, one or 2 times getting stuck but no biggie. We did the breathable ones with ds2 and they were a nice middle ground. I wouldn't use real bumper pads. The rational against them just makes too much sense to me re. SIDS. The bumper pads reduce the flow of fresh air around baby's face thus building up CO2 levels and putting baby into a deeper sleep and they have a harder time rousing. Suffocation worries me too especially b/c my ds1 could wiggle all over from the early weeks and liked to be right against the slats. If there was a regular bumper pad there then his face would have been buried in there. You're right, it is something you need to research and make an informed decision about. I might ask my ped but I usually do a lot of independent research too since I'm never sure how up to date my ped is on all the things I have in my brain.

Beth

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We bought a crib quilt, but used it as a wall hanging. I bought some matching crib sheets and some generic. I used a generic crib skirt. And we bought the matching rug. Of course it wasn't all necessary, but I really liked it. And we had pottery barn gift cards left over from our wedding, so it wasn't all that much out of pocket

We just have sheets and a breathable bumper on DD's crib. We have a mobile and a Fisher Price Precious Planet lights/music thingy. The mobile matches some pictures that we got for the wall. I don't think that her crib looks too plain. I think it looks safe and peaceful.

Please check out the Wonder Bumpers! We love them!!! The only problem we've had was that he'd occasionally get his arm stuck between the slats. I'd have to crawl into his room, and gentle move his arm back into his crib. But now he does it on his own! His legs were never a problem, because we have him in a SleepSack. I cannot rave more about these bumpers. Safe, functional, and cute!

Plus, they're reversible! The ones that I have are blue on one side and white on the other. If our DC#2 is a girl, I plan to flip it and use the white side!
    Mommy to DS 2/10 and furbaby 7/08.

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

For the crib, I made a crib skirt with the assistance of my MIL. He has a breathable bumper that is ivory - nice and neutral. My glider is next to the crib and I keep a blanket on the back of that. Across from the crib is the dresser which has a changing pad and a lamp. Since these pictures were taken, I've hung curtains which have a valance that matches the crib skirt and there is a picture on either side of the window. I also have a little stool under the window that has his bedtime books, etc..

I've also added a "quilt rack" at the foot of the crib with a bunch of the blankets that he got from people.

DS1 - Oct. '09

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I initially just bought separate pieces that matched: bedskirt, curtain, "extra" sheet.

Looking back now, I wish I'd just bought a toddler bedding set at the beginning. I would have just put the top sheet away for a while. The kids use the quit to snuggle and play with. I may buy sold curtains to coordinate with the quilt, but its not the important to em now.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LoveBeingMrs View Post
    Please check out the Wonder Bumpers! We love them!!! The only problem we've had was that he'd occasionally get his arm stuck between the slats. I'd have to crawl into his room, and gentle move his arm back into his crib. But now he does it on his own! His legs were never a problem, because we have him in a SleepSack. I cannot rave more about these bumpers. Safe, functional, and cute!

Plus, they're reversible! The ones that I have are blue on one side and white on the other. If our DC#2 is a girl, I plan to flip it and use the white side!
    My dh looked at a picture of them after your 1st post in the thread and he thought getting stuck would be an issue too. I'm curious how they compare to mesh bumpers instead? He really didn't get the Wonder Bumpers at all and kept coming back to liking the mesh bumper pad we had.

Beth

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We got the quilt and hung it on the wall.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My dh looked at a picture of them after your 1st post in the thread and he thought getting stuck would be an issue too. I'm curious how they compare to mesh bumpers instead? He really didn't get the Wonder Bumpers at all and kept coming back to liking the mesh bumper pad we had.

Beth
    The main reason why I wanted some kind of bumper for DS' crib was so that he wouldn't hit his head against the slats (DS tends to move around A LOT, and flips over all the time). Plus, I never have to take the Wonder Bumpers off. I was considering the mesh breathable ones, and I thought it wouldn't be thick enough to prevent DS from banging his head. I also heard that babies tend to put their arms up above the bumper and get them stuck between the slats. Oh, these little troublemakers!
    Mommy to DS 2/10 and furbaby 7/08.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast