Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Could this really cause complications during pregnancy and delivery?

Ok, so I'm not even pregnant yet (I think), but we're TTC and something my OB said on my last checkup early this year is really bothering me.

DS was born in Chicago, natural bith, and I had some tearing which was repaired. A few months ago we moved to Mexico and the doctor here (he's a very good doctor, FWIW) said that I had also had internal tearing which was not repaired. He said in the US it's standar practice to let internal tears heal on their own to avoid risk of infection but here they always repair them. His opinion is that these internal tears could cause problems for my next pregnancy, specificall during labor. He wasn't very specific and we weren't TTC back then or thinking about it so I kind of dismissed it.

Now I keep wondering if this is true, or if he's just setting the scene for a "scheduled c-section". BTW the c/s rates here are crazy, higher than in the US. I like to avoid unnecesary interventions, which I know would be a fight here, since they're not used to letting the mother have much controll over the birth experience. A lot of friends have been talked into c/s or induction just for convinience. Seriously, I heard one lady go on and on about how C/s are better for mom and baby after talking with her OB.

Anyone know anything about this? Is it cause for real concern or should I look for a second opinion? I don't want to end up with a c/s if it's not really necessary. I'd also like to find a new OB now, and not further along, if I decide I want to change OB's

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would look for a second opinion. I haven't seen your internal tearing, so it's kind of hard to stand on one foot. However, the fact that the c/s rate is so much higher there (and it isn't so low here) makes me kind of wary. This is especially if you are a freethinking American, who likes to make choices about her own healthcare & not be dictated to.

I had internal tearing with DD, and am trying to remember if they stitched it at all...I think they put a few stitches in (hard to remember as I had an episiotomy and a small tear as well). Anyway, I had absolutely no issues or internal tearing with DS. Not sure if that helps at all. I would get a second opinion as well. From everything I've ever read, tears heal well on their own, much better than episiotomies do, so I'm not sure what issues he is referring to?
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had 3rd degree tearing with DD1, and had a few stitches. Zero impact with DD2 - also a vaginal birth. In fact, my tearing that time was so minimal that I didn't have any stitches and six hours later it didn't really feel like I'd just pushed out a baby at all. So, I'd third getting another opinion.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ditto the PPs above. I think there is some amount of stage-setting going on. Will you be back in the States any time before TTC or perhaps for your next delivery? My friend in Mexico was told at 2 months pg that she was going to have to have a c-section because her body was too small for a vaginal birth! And she did both times!

for Sandy Hook

Thanks everyone. I will start looking for another OB for a second opinion, I don't even know where to start, since most of my friends here have had the birth experience I am trying to avoid, so I don't know who to ask for recommendations. It seems there is only one private hospital where they have LDR rooms (instead of separate labor room, delivery room and recovery) room) and where they allow rooming in with baby, and support BF (BF rates here in middle and upper classes are LOW). So I'll start by asking about doctors that attend there I guess.

I am planning to go to the States soon, hopefully in October, but if not definetely for Xmas. So I might get a second opinon there as well. I'm also still considering having the baby there, but we'll see.

I agree that you should get a second opinion. But, fwiw, I had lots of tearing when DS was born (fourth degree, blah blah blah), healed up fine, and my OB seems to think having another vag. birth won't be a problem if/when the time comes. However, he *did* say that *sometimes* you can run into a problem where you have a lot of scar tissue there that isn't as elastic and stretchy as normal tissue. So I'm guessing that's what your current doctor might have been thinking of. I still think you should get another opinion and most likely you'll be fine, but I'm not sure your doctor is totally crazy or c-section-happy either.
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

With DD I tore in 2 areas (a 1 degree and a 2 degree) before getting a 3rd degree episiodomy. The 2 degree and 3 degree were repaired, 1 degree was allowed to heal naturally. At my 6 week PP I asked my OB if he thought I'd need another epi during future deliveries and he said no because the muscles are inheretly weaker now and easier to stretch but the skin's scar tissue is weaker and less likely to stretch easily so 1 degree tears are more likely but not deep nasty stuff like an epi.

I'm sorry I don't know much about internal tearing, but, I was told that from internal uterine scarring the fetus might not attach as strongly in the uterine wall, so I guess it depends where this tearing was, if it was external it is much better. I would also get another opinion as pps have said.
    ---------------------------------------------------

First miracle: very lively DS November 2008

Expecting another little miracle January 2011

Quote Originally Posted by luv2bmommy View Post
    I'm sorry I don't know much about internal tearing, but, I was told that from internal uterine scarring the fetus might not attach as strongly in the uterine wall, so I guess it depends where this tearing was, if it was external it is much better. I would also get another opinion as pps have said.
    The tearing was in the birth canal, apparently there's some not so nice scars in there. I just don't understand why that would be a problem during delivery. I'm pretty sure he'll try to sell me on the scheduled c/s on the grounds of avoiding more damage or something like that. I can't find much info on the subject, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast