Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

CIO is controversial but for us it was a life saver. I just could not continue sleeping that little. With DS1, we tried it at 4.5 months because I was back at work and had to sleep more. It took three nights. We did the Ferber approach.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-ferb...tified_7755.bc

With DS2, we did it at 5.5 months of age. I think it took him 4 or 5 nights. It was hard at first but the results were very much worth it to us. We did discuss it with our ped before trying it.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PGTB View Post
    So, what do you do exactly when you "dream-feed". doesn't your LO wake up?
    Well, mine doesn't wake up when I dream feed her, but she is just 14 weeks so maybe it will change in a month. Even if she stirs a little, nursing while she is so drowsy puts her right back to sleep. In fact, it's sometimes a challenge to keep her awake enough to nurse!

for Sandy Hook

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

sounds like 4 month wakeful period to me. ds was sleeping 8 hours in a row before 4 months and then it all went to crap. we don't do cio but nursing 2x in the middle of the night at 4 months is pretty normal for most kids.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    His nursing patterns sound 100% normal and are what both my babies did
    Well, I've only had one baby. He nursed twice during the night (roughly 1 am and 4-5 am) until 6-8 months at least.

I am wondering what did you do to reduce the number of nursing sessions during the night and how old was your LO when they voluntarily dropped extra nursing session? When did you EBF LO finally started sleeping through the night (at least have a 6 hour stretch).
    We switched to bottle for some feedings, including the 1 am, and gradually reduced the volume of milk for that feeding until he stopped waking up at about 1 ounce. But I wouldn't do that for a 4 month old, he's too young and he may geniunely need to be fed (DS was much older and eating soldis, too). Our Ped said it was totally normal for EBF babies to nurse 1-2 times per night until around 6 months, and that they do actually need it, but after that it's OK to do some sleep training.

We had a 6 hour stretch at about 2 months, but that lasted less than a month. Then it appeared again a couple of months later, but it was 7 pm to 1 am, and then he was back on nursing every 2-3 hours

I highly recommend reading Dr. Ferber's book (Solving your child's sleep problems, the latest edition since it's been thoroughly revised) to understand sleep cycles and what's actually a problem. He talks about many different causes and gives several solutions (the gradual CIO is the most popular, but not the only one).

Other than that all I did was go to bed earlier and at least a few times a week I'd nap along with him during his long nap of the day. And I adjusted my expectations, everyone IRL says their babies STTN at 2 months, but I doubt it's true in most cases from what I've seen with other moms in our playgroups.

I keep him close by my side in a mini-crib, so maybe he smells the food is near now that he nurses more than before?
    Can you move him to his own room? DD (while still waking a fair amount) woke up a lot less once we moved her to her own room. I think she must have smelled me constantly and it made her more hungry.

We tried a semi-dream feed last night. I heard DD shifting around a lot at about 10pm, picked her up, nursed her and put her right back to bed, and she only half woke up through the whole thing. She did better. Slept until 3am, but then I gave her a pacifier and she went back to sleep until 6am.

You said your DS goes to sleep at 9 or 10. Have you tried putting him down earlier? We found the DD sleeps longer and more soundly when she goes to bed early (she goes down at 7).

PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    Can you move him to his own room? DD (while still waking a fair amount) woke up a lot less once we moved her to her own room. I think she must have smelled me constantly and it made her more hungry.

We tried a semi-dream feed last night. I heard DD shifting around a lot at about 10pm, picked her up, nursed her and put her right back to bed, and she only half woke up through the whole thing. She did better. Slept until 3am, but then I gave her a pacifier and she went back to sleep until 6am.

You said your DS goes to sleep at 9 or 10. Have you tried putting him down earlier? We found the DD sleeps longer and more soundly when she goes to bed early (she goes down at 7).
    Unfortunately, we are in a 1 bedroom for now so no separate room for DS yet. I could roll him into the living room, but at this point I do want to keep him by my bed side for my own comfort as well.

I tried to dream feed yesterday, but it was a failed effort. Actually, DS started stirring and whimpering a bit after midnight, so I got up, I wasn't quite fully asleep yet, and nursed him. He ate well and fell asleep as usual at the breast, but the moment I would put him down he would wake up and whimper again. I would pick him up and nurse again and again, basically "rinse and repeat" about 3 times before he finally passed out. Basically, his dream feed lasted for over an hour and sent me to bed finally way after 1am. He woke up 3 hours later and his nursing took awhile again, with him getting fussy when he would be put down into his crib. He fell asleep again for 2 hours and then I don't remember much, his next waking was my DH's "shift" and he took care of him to give me extra 2 hours of sleep. I feel like I am probably doing something wrong... I think I like the pacifier idea, I often feel like during these fussy nursing sessions (they aren't always like this) he uses my boob as a pacifier. But what do you do when he falls asleep with the paci i his mouth, wouldn't he wake up the moment it falls out of his mouth?

I should try to put him down to sleep for the night earlier. It's just never worked out this way. DH and I both work and come home around 6pm, so we don't get to spend much time with DS if he put him down to sleep at 7pm. Besides, he gets excited to see us and even when we tried to put him down at 9pm, he didn't want to sleep. We also wash him before bed, he loves his bath time and no matter how fussy he is, he always calms down when in the water. We tried earlier bath time, but DS wouldn't go to bed usually until 9:30pm or 9pm the earliest.. Is this wrong? Is this true that little babies like this need much much earlier bed time?

I feel like his schedule is so broken... he actually doesn't have a distinct pattern anymore at night and can wake up pretty much whenever, like midnight or 2 am or 3 am, it's really so unpredictable. My ped made it sound like once they hit the magic mark of 3 months they really settle into some sort of a schedule. Well, it seemed more like his schedule has gotten unsettled since he turned 3 months old.
    Last edited by PGTB; 08-18-2010 at 05:17 PM.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. With a baby this young, as long as you make sure that he feels loved, you are a great parent (that is my mom's advice and that is how I get through every doubt filled day). I also think that pediatricians can make you feel rotten (mine wants me to cut out the night feeding and use CIO if necessary, my 4 month old is so not ready for CIO). So first off, and stay strong!

As far as going to bed early, I totally know how you feel. I don't usually get home from work until 6:00 or 6:30, so some nights I don't even see DD at all (DH gets home at 5, so he is on duty until I get home), which is really hard on me. I have read a lot about how the earlier you put children to bed the later they will sleep, but I do think that every baby is different. Some babies are night owls and some are early birds, you may just have a night owl. I do know that for us, when we started putting DD down earlier, the nights did get better (although we still aren't sleeping through the night so, not perfect).

With the paci, one of the following usually happens: 1) She is so dead asleep when it finally does fall out of her mouth, so she doesn't even notice; 2) It falls out and she wakes up pissed (not often, but it happens if it falls out before she is totally asleep; 3) I stay in the room until she falls asleep and then gently take it out of her mouth; or 4) She flips on her belly (her new favorite sleeping position) and the paci balances in her mouth against the mattress.

If you don't think you are comfortable with your LO sleeping in another room, you should definitely keep him in the room with you. It certainly doesn't hurt him and even if moving him helped him sleep more, it wouldn't help you because you would be up all night checking in on him. My original plan was to keep DD in the room with us for 3 months, but I don't think any of us were sleeping (DD woke up constantly to eat because she could smell me and DH and I were constantly waking up to ever little noise she made) so we moved her to her own room at 6 weeks. I think that every family has to find the sleeping arrangement that works best for them.

Sorry the dream feeding didn't work out well. Did you try letting him whine for a few minutes before you picked him up? After I nurse DD and put her down to bed, she kind of grunts around for a minute or two before she falls back asleep all the way. It isn't crying, just "eh eh eh" but it doesn't last long and doesn't turn into a cry. I find if I just let her settle, she goes back to sleep and she is fine. We did our second night of dream feeding last night and it was okay but she definitely whined a little bit when I put her down after she ate (bedtime at 7, dream feed at 10, she woke up at 4 and took a paci, and then she slept until 5:45 for breakfast).

Sorry this is so long. Good luck with everything!

PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    Well, I've only had one baby. He nursed twice during the night (roughly 1 am and 4-5 am) until 6-8 months at least.

We switched to bottle for some feedings, including the 1 am, and gradually reduced the volume of milk for that feeding until he stopped waking up at about 1 ounce. But I wouldn't do that for a 4 month old, he's too young and he may geniunely need to be fed (DS was much older and eating soldis, too). Our Ped said it was totally normal for EBF babies to nurse 1-2 times per night until around 6 months, and that they do actually need it, but after that it's OK to do some sleep training.

We had a 6 hour stretch at about 2 months, but that lasted less than a month. Then it appeared again a couple of months later, but it was 7 pm to 1 am, and then he was back on nursing every 2-3 hours

I highly recommend reading Dr. Ferber's book (Solving your child's sleep problems, the latest edition since it's been thoroughly revised) to understand sleep cycles and what's actually a problem. He talks about many different causes and gives several solutions (the gradual CIO is the most popular, but not the only one).

Other than that all I did was go to bed earlier and at least a few times a week I'd nap along with him during his long nap of the day. And I adjusted my expectations, everyone IRL says their babies STTN at 2 months, but I doubt it's true in most cases from what I've seen with other moms in our playgroups.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I did end up getting the Ferber book on my Kindle and reading it now as much as my sleep deprived brain can handle at this point. I am learning a lot, so hopefully this will answer some of our prayers.

The situation with DS had gotten worse since I wrote. He had a couple of nights where he would wake up every hour. Then back to 2-3 hours waking. And sometimes when you think things just can't get any worse they can. Sometimes it takes 2 hours to put him to sleep at night and last night he had been unable to go to sleep after his 2-3 am waking until 5am! Regardless what we did, nursing, rocking him, walking with him, the moment his head would hit the crib mattress, he would cry. I am also suspecting reading the Ferber book that he simply doesn't get enough sleep anymore. He usually sleeps between 10 and 12 hours in 24 hour period and according to the book it's supposed to be around 13 hours at this age.. He is also fussy during the day and his naps are always a struggle. Poor baby cannot go to sleep on his own at all, he lost this ability somehow. He used to be able to do this when he was younger... I wonder if I have created nursing/sleep association and/or we had spent too much time carrying him and not enough time to let him stay on his own to fall asleep without being in our arms. I am also suspecting he has reflux problems due to frequent spitting up.

It's almost like when you think certain age is supposed to make things easier, they just get much harder. The misconception is that we hear from almost everyone that once babies hit 3 months mark, things get easier, their schedules start settling. It is so opposite for our poor DS! I am not ready to sleep train him yet until he is about 5 months or our Ped gives us the green light to do this.

What techniques worked for you as far as sleep training is concerned and when did you start?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2