Default Natural alternative to Gatorade?

What type of fluids do your give your dc when they are sick? I'm looking for something all natural w/no artifical colors, etc.

I have Gatorade on hand in the house in case of a stomach bug (we don't drink it...just have it in a cupboard in case of emergency). I hate to give it to DD because of the sucrose and artifical coloring. I don't know...does it REALLY replenish electrolytes, etc??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Ashley

DD 10/2005

Gatorade has sucrose, which is real sugar, so that's not a problem, but it is high in sodium.

I have never in 19 years of parenting needed to give an electrolyte solution to a kid (knock on wood). Kids who are sick don't generally get that dehydrated and if they did, I would run out and buy some, or more likely take them to the doctor. We have stores open 24 hours here so I never felt the need to keep it on hand.

When my kids are sick I get them to sip water as soon as they can hold it down. Just a few teaspoons at a time makes a difference.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oral Rehydration Recipe from Dr. Paul Fleiss

½ t salt
    ½ t baking soda
    1 c juice
    3 c water

-decrease salt to ¼ t for maintenance solution
    -tastes better when iced
    -use orange or apple juice for best flavor
    -offer small amounts frequently (make 1 oz last 5 minutes)
    -replace lost fluids (infants: 4 oz for every vomit or loose bowel movement, children over 1 yr: 8 oz for every vomit or loose bowel movement)
    -call the doctor with signs of dehydration (dry mucus membranes, no saliva, no tears, decreased urination, increased fatigue or lethargy)
    -solution can be made with any fresh organic juice
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Coconut water... Its Natures gatorade.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

coconut water is a natural alternative. I don't think my kiddos would drink it when they are feeling icky though. Gatorade always went down without a fight.... when they wouldn't touch anything else I was happy to get something into them.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another vote for coconut water. I actually have been giving it to DD some this summer mixed with the little bit of juice she gets during the day or some regular water.... It's been so hot here that I thought she could use the extra bit of help.

Last time she was sick though (before I heard about coconut water from you guys) we did Pedialyte.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

There is a sports drink with less sugar and no artificial colors/flavors called Recharge. You can get it at Whole Foods, I think. I drank it in labor and it was great.

http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/recharge
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

Thanks so much ladies. This is great information. Will look into the coconut water....sounds promising. And I've printed out the Oral Rehydration Recipe from Dr. Paul Fleiss. Unfortunately, I'm not near a whole foods but when I am, I'll be sure to check out the Recharge.

Loves these boards!!
    Ashley

DD 10/2005