Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    adler is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Thanks.

Do you think I could comfortably use a SSC while sitting down for long periods of time? (i.e, working at the computer)

I've held dd in SSC while she is sleeping--no way would she put up with being in a carrier and being still otherwise. It's okay comfort wise. But I don't think I could do it at a desk, even if dd would tolerate it. I'd have to stretch my arms so much father to reach the keyboard that I just don't think it would work for me on a regular basis or for long periods of time. Also, I've done it on a couch where I could lean back. I'm not so sure about sitting upright. Seems like it would be a core muscle workout.

Catherine

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think a wrap or sling would be your best bed for working at home. The fabrics are usually thin, so there will be less bulk between you and the computer :-). Plus, you can adjust the wrap or sling to have the baby lower on your chest/stomach (below your armpits) so it may be easier to reach over the baby to the keyboard.

I used a Moby for a short while with DD and I honestly wish I had purchased it earlier. After a bit of practice it is really easy to get on (at least while you are int he house and don't have to worry about the ends dragging and getting dirty), and DD needed to be held upright all the time. It does get hot however, but if you aren't leaving the house, you could wear a tank or even go shirtless. The wrap covers most of you anyway.

As far as carriers go, I tried a Beco Butterfly 2 and didn't like it at all. I honestly didn't give it many tries though. DD hated to be strapped into the internal harness, there were too many buckles for me, and I felt that the shoulder straps overwhenlmed my small (5 foot) frame. There are many people who love them though. If you want to try a Beco, purchase from a place with a good return policy in case it doesn't work for you (I think that naturalmomgear.com has a liberal return policy and frogmama.com will allow you to trade in your carrier for credit if it isn't working out or you don't use it any more).

I have an Angelpack LX on the way and I am very excited to try it. It's a structured carrier but from what I have read, it has fewer buckles and straps than a Beco or Ergo, and is lighter weight. I also was looking for a mei tai with buckles, and this seems to be it (Action Baby Carrier is another). It is basically a rectangle of fabric with shoulder straps that buckle and adjust, and a buckle waist belt. I hope to post a review after we've had a chance to try it.

ETA: If you want to try a Moby, I noticed that Target is selling them now and they take returns for most things. BRU also sells them in store and is fairly liberal with returns IF you have a receipt and it is within 90 days. Thebabywearer.com also has Mobys for sale in the FSOT forum.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

bigpassport is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Is there any chance you can find a baby wearing group in your area? If so, you might be able to try on a variety of carriers to see what you like. I bought a Moby Wrap and it was waaayyyy too much fabric for the desert southwest in the summer. I tried on a Baby K'Tan and loved it...easy to slip on and off, lightweight. When DS got a little bigger (4 mos?) I got a Pikkolo and don't use it often, but when I do it's perfect for my needs.
    Lee
    DS 06/09
    Expecting b/b twins via adoption, Summer 2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would strongly suggest finding a local group lots of it is fit and personal pref there is also a vendor that does rentals though i cant remember the name

dd1 I could wear and sit w/o issue...dd2 lasts 2min before she pitches a fit. must always be moving

lovebebes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

sitting is one thing i did not like doing while wearing the baby in a carrier, and especially not for a long time.

i agree with others about finding a baby wearing group in your area, or maybe a Pump Station-they could help too. You could see and try on a few things..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2