Carrots is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default FA Moms and ice cream

If your child has a peanut allergy, did you buy your own ice cream maker to make ice cream?

I am considering it, but I don't want another kitchen appliance that is rarely used.

Thanks
    Kristen
    Mom to:
    DD, A 5 years
    DD, K 3 years

and my three born sleeping

My DS has dairy and soy allergies. We've also cut out nuts at the doctors recommendation. I haven't purchased an Ice Cream maker...I know I wouldn't use it. I have however purchased SO Delicious Dairy Free coconut ice cream (by Turtle Mountain foods) and fruit sorbets (I don't remember which brand). You probably can't use the Coconut ice cream (I know there's conflicting opinions about people with nut allergies consuming coconut) but the sorbet was met with enthusiasm. If I remember correctly, the sorbet didn't have any warning about being made in a facility that processes nuts...so maybe you can find something similar.

Just some thoughts...and I know as a FA mom, it can be exhausting contstantly making everything from scratch. Also, you know how sensitive your LOs are and what is safest for them.

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a cuisenart ice cream maker. I actually bought it before DD was diagnosed with FA. I rarely use it but when I do the ice cream is fantastic!

A few months ago I made fresh strawberry ice cream (we picked our own berries) and DD wouldn't eat it...she said it smelled funny . I think the strawberries did smell kind of weird once mixed with the cream, but it tasted great.

I've vowed to use it more this summer but to be honest, I haven't. In fact I have a carton of cream in my fridge that I bought to make vanilla and I still haven't done it.

This summer she has been consuming Philly Swirl popsicles. I don't love that they have food dye but they are made in a nut free facility. Other than that, I do use Hoodie cups with her, it sort of depends on your comfort level. I don't take her to ice cream shops or let her eat any other ice cream in a carton due to risk of xcontamination.

sorry...more info than you were looking for!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No, we purchase a labelled peanut/nut-free ice cream (Chapmans).
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

naam is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

DS1 is allergic to peanuts/tree nuts. He's had Breyer's and Turkey Hill brands of vanilla, neopolitan, mint choc. chip, and party cake (Turkey Hill brand only) without problems. Ben & Jerry's is also good.

Carrots is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks everyone!
    I remember making ice cream with my dad when I was little, but it was with a hand crank maker and I can't even imagine attempting that.

I am going to skip the maker and just buy ice cream that is safe for peanut allergies.

Thanks for your help!
    Kristen
    Mom to:
    DD, A 5 years
    DD, K 3 years

and my three born sleeping

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by naam View Post
    DS1 is allergic to peanuts/tree nuts. He's had Breyer's and Turkey Hill brands of vanilla, neopolitan, mint choc. chip, and party cake (Turkey Hill brand only) without problems. Ben & Jerry's is also good.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    No, we purchase a labelled peanut/nut-free ice cream (Chapmans).
    I wish we had that in the US!

Quote Originally Posted by Carrots View Post
    I am going to skip the maker and just buy ice cream that is safe for peanut allergies.

Thanks for your help!
    I'll be honest, I don't think any brands of US ice cream are labeled as safe for nut alleriges (i.e. made in a peanut/tree nut free factory). If you call, companies will tell you that they are made on the same line and cleaned in between etc. Breyers and Ben and Jerrys DO NOT have dedicated lines. At least they didn't when I called a few years ago.

You have to decide if you are comfortable with how they clean the machines etc. I was OK with Ben and Jerry's two years ago...they make the vanilla first, then start making the flavors with "stuff" and then always clean before making vanilla again. I only gave her vanilla, but then she was diagnosed as allergic to egg and B&J had egg so we stopped. I haven't called lately.

Just an FYI that it is very much YMMV with FA, some people are OK with using certain brands and others are not, you sort of have to decide for yourself.

ETA: From Breyer's website:

User:
    Allergen Information

Agent:
    It is Breyers'® policy that when any of the eight most common allergens (milk, eggs, fish, wheat, tree nuts, peanuts, soybeans and crustaceans) occur in any of our products they will be listed inside the ingredient statement in plain language.

We do not use the terms "Natural" or "Artificial Flavorings" to hide the existence of any allergens. We do not have dedicated production lines in our manufacturing facilities for products containing allergens. We have special handling procedures for all allergenic ingredients used in our manufacturing facilities.
    Ben and Jerry's Info on allergens:

http://benjerry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...=/&p_topview=1

cross-contamination:
    http://benjerry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...wmcF9wYWdlPTE*

We have systems and policies in place to help protect our consumers from cross-contamination. While we process nut flavors on shared equipment that also processes non-nut flavors, Ben & Jerry's employs strict sanitation procedures and processes that ensure complete cleaning of all equipment. Also, while it is virtually impossible to make absolute guarantees, Ben & Jerry's is confident that not only are our products good to eat, they are also safe to eat. For specific information about our products, we ask that you continuously refer to the labels on our products as they are the most complete and most up-to-date source for specific food allergen information.
    Last edited by alien_host; 08-20-2010 at 08:31 AM.