Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Heading to China in 2 weeks

DH and I are going to China in 2 weeks; we will be there for 1 week. Any tips on what and how to pack? We are flying American; it looks like we can each check 2 bags for free, plus we have carry ons. DS is not coming with us, so that helps.

We will be flying into Chicago and then straight through to Shanghai; 13-1/2 to 14-1/2 hour flight. Blech! We will be going to the World Expo 2010 Shanghai while we are there and also doing some other sightseeing. DH and the other couple we are going with have been to China before are are very into checking out local restaurants, etc...

Right now my packing list includes (other than clothes):
    blister band-aids
    Neosporin
    Benadryl
    sunscreen
    bug spray
    shout wipes; oxiclean spray
    wine diapers (just in case)
    books
    magazines
    Last edited by Andi98989; 08-19-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Fun!! I was in China in March and in June this year and my June trip included Shanghai. I did have a chance to go to the expo, and it was awesome!!

Bug spray is a must. I got bitten by monster mosquitoes in Shanghai and my leg looked like it was going to fall off.

Do you have VIP passes for any of the pavilions? If not, buy one of those chairs that folds up (you'll see people with them all over the expo) because the wait to get into many of the pavilions can be very very long. Of course, it may not be as crowded now as it was in June at this point. We had VIP passes for the Chinese, American, German, and French pavilions and for one of the themed pavilions, so we were able to see a lot in one day. The American pavilion is an embarrassment, so you might want to skip it. The Chinese pavilion is AMAZING!!!

trying to think of other things to bring...

I like to sleep with ear plugs in, and this helped a lot on the flight. I also brought an eye mask.

Remember to bargain everywhere you shop.

Bring a power converter/adapter

Comfortable shoes

Have a wonderful time!!

How exciting! Are you leaving Shanghai to tour the countryside at all? Hangzhou, Suzhou and Zhouzuang (sp?) are all beautiful historic sites near Shanghai but a bus/train ride away. If you leave the urban areas, you will need some diaper wipes/wet wipes as the provided toilet paper is like sandpaper. Moreover, you may need to hold it over your nose, as some of the rural restrooms are literally holes in the ground that stink to high heaven!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, definitely always have something you can use as toilet paper. I was unprepared in the silk market in Beijing and (I can't believe I'm admitting this) I had to use a business card to wipe up after my business...

Tylenol/Advil
    Pepto/Imodium
    Gold Bond/Cortizone (in case you do get a mosquito bite, when we went as kids, my sis got over 20 on one leg)
    Wipes
    Hand sanitizer (not sure if you're going to take a domestic flight in China, but fyi they don't allow hand sanitizer on board-they confiscated my mom's)
    Packets of tissue (you can buy there but it's not as soft, I'm a Kleenex snob)