Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

DD1 didn't do really great with sippy cups until she had two or three teeth; so right about 9 months old. The Take N Toss cups actually really helped her get a hang of it, but then we switched to the regular Playtex cups with the soft spouts, which we had started her on at around 6 mos. old. A few months after that we switched to the harder spouts with Avent, Playtex, and Gerber.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I've tried a million brands and I really like the Playtex First Sipsters with two handles and a silicone spout. As long as I take the time to put the valve in tight and screw on the lid, I have minimal leaking.

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Is it only me or is it really hard to drink from a sippy cup? I have probably bought 4-5 different brands (Playtex, Avent, Gerber, Munchkin that I can think of) and found that they are all really hard to drink from - they all seem to require super sucking abilities. I ended up taking out the valves and DD likes the Playtex and Avent sippy cups with handles.

Is it only me or is it really hard to drink from a sippy cup?
    It is NOT just you. It IS really hard to drink from them. It's even harder when you don't have teeth! As my 3 yo will tell you, mommy, you have to bite it.

I think the trade off is--the less it leaks, the harder it is to get the liquid out by sucking. The easier it leaks, the easier it is to get the liquid out. I've tried a few with my still-toothless 7 m.o. I recently went to the take-and-toss, trying to get him to take some apple juice b/c he was seriously constipated. That was the easiest for him. Otherwise, he LOVES drinking from an open cup, but we've had several spillage incidents b/c he likes to get all grabby with his hands.
    Wondermom

DS 1 8/2007
    DS 2 1/2010

Jenn27 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We mostly use Nalgene sippy cups and they are totally leakproof! We have a few Klean Kanteens and they are nice but they use Avent spouts which tend to leak. We also have one Camelbak straw sippy and it's great but DD chugs the whole thing so fast!!

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've fallen in love with the learner cup by Nuk. The nuby/munchkin ones are similar but DD has an easier time with the nuk. Its a bit pricey at $7 each.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn27 View Post
    We mostly use Nalgene sippy cups and they are totally leakproof! We have a few Klean Kanteens and they are nice but they use Avent spouts which tend to leak. We also have one Camelbak straw sippy and it's great but DD chugs the whole thing so fast!!
    Nalgene, KK, and Camelbak make sippys??!!??
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I purchased the Gerber (I thought they were the Gerber Nuk but I guess not) because they were on sale, and I couldn't remember which "N" brand everyone recommended (Nuby, not Nuk, d'oh!). It didn't leak too much until DD threw it on the floor. When I retrieved it 10 mintues later, it was sitting in a pool of water. So I am headed back to the store for some Playtex and Nuby (I'll get it right this time!) with handles.

Jenn27: I looked at the nalgene and camelbak websites and I love those kids bottles (I didn't know they existed), but I think DD needs handles right now, so I'll have to save those for later. Thanks for letting me know about them though!!
    Last edited by TwoBees; 08-24-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

With DD1 we tried several brands and she never liked them. We went straight to a straw cup (Take N Toss and Nuby). She did great with a straw and we avoided having to then do the bottle to sippy to straw weaning which was nice for us. I anticipate going the same route with DD2. I pulled out our old Avent sippy for fun and DD2 could have cared less. The only thing the handles did was give her a easier way to fling it across the room. LOL!

We figured a bottle doesn't have handles so DD1 didn't need a cup with handles. And the straw cup seemed easier for her to learn because she didn't have to figure out how to tip it up.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    With DD1 we tried several brands and she never liked them. We went straight to a straw cup (Take N Toss and Nuby). She did great with a straw and we avoided having to then do the bottle to sippy to straw weaning which was nice for us. I anticipate going the same route with DD2. I pulled out our old Avent sippy for fun and DD2 could have cared less. The only thing the handles did was give her a easier way to fling it across the room. LOL!

We figured a bottle doesn't have handles so DD1 didn't need a cup with handles. And the straw cup seemed easier for her to learn because she didn't have to figure out how to tip it up.
    DD isn't holding her own bottle yet, so I thought handles might help her bring the sippy to her face (face is fine, we'll work on mouth later). She grabs everything, so I thought this might be easier.

How do you teach a child to suck through a straw?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast