Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Do you have a trail-a-bike attached to your bike (for your child)?

I would love to get a trail-a-bike, trailer bike, half wheeler, whatever it's called!!
    for my husband's bike. I'd like for us to ride the bike trail as a family but it's
    too hard for my 5 year old son. So I thought a trail-a-bike that attaches
    to my DH's bike would be perfect. This way, my husband is doing most of
    the work.

Here is an example.
    http://montgomerycyclery.com/sitesearch.cfm

Does anyone have one of these?? Do you like it? Does your child like it?
    What brand do you have?

Thanks so much!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We just got one off of CL--an Adams original. DS is 4.5 and we tried it for the first time today. He was a little scared at first, but peddling and saying he liked it by the end of the ride. It's really great b/c he's too old to sit in the trailer now (plus DD bothers DS in the trailer). This way, I can take the trailer and DH can take DS on the trail a bike. He said balance is the main issue (not the extra weight). Anyway, it folds in half and was recommended highly by our bike shop. We happened to find a great condition used one for less than 1/2 price.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We bought whatever the brand is that REI carries last year when DD was 4.5. She loves it, and is actually pedaling somewhat helpfully this year! DH likes it too.
    She still has training wheels on her own bicycle, so this is definitely helpful for longer rides.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

we have one for my 7 year old because we ride farther than she could do on her own.

We started with a One Step from Target (end of season clearance!) but it didn't last long. It started making a grinding noise at about 60 miles and it was like towing it with the brake on, even though it doesn't have a brake. I found out this is common for this brand.

I did the research on the bike forums and found that the Burley Piccolo is the best because it attaches on the rack, not on the seat post. They are no longer made, but I found one on eBay. It is so much nicer than the One Step! It's a smoother ride and it doesn't throw my husband off balance every time she wiggles. I can tell it is going to last through the next kid too. It has gears so when she pedals she is actually helping. Without gears, it doesn't do anything for her to pedal since we are going faster than the single gear can handle. (just normal adult speeds)

We ride 30 miles at a time most weekends, and went on a week long trip where we did 30-40 miles a day for six days. (C&O Canal from Cumberland MD to Georgetown D.C.) and it worked very well for that trip. I tow the baby in a Burley Solo trailer.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

We have one and love it. We started using it when DS was 4 and now finally at almost 7 he isn't as interested. But we have gotten a lot of use out of it. Even now, I am still very glad we have it for long rides. I've seen them in Europe with two add ons, for two kids, but I haven't seen that in the states yet. Still, I might get one of those now if I can find one.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    I've seen them in Europe with two add ons, for two kids, but I haven't seen that in the states yet. Still, I might get one of those now if I can find one.

This brand has one for two kids.

http://www.trail-a-bike.com/products/trail-a-bikes/
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We got the Adam's brand. Good brand. I've never personally seen someone with 2 riders. I imagine it might get more tippy b/c it's longer. I have seen dads with one trail a bike, and then a trailer hitched up to that.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Very timely, we just got one and DH attached it to my bike tonight. DS and I need to practice now so we can ride it to school! I'm hoping it's not too bad riding with it.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

DH and our 6 1/2 year old have been riding that way for over two years now (3 summers). It's been great. I don't know the brand, but it does have gears. DH is still convinced he's not helping much, but they enjoy riding together. DS ditched the training wheels at the beginning of this summer and while he has some good endurance, his top is still 3-6 miles around the house. On the tag-a-long they go 20-40 regularly.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a Trek brand and rode it for about a year. We quickly approached the upper limit in terms of the kid's size and my comfort level. My DD outgrew hers at about age 6.5 - she would tilt to the side and I would feel the bike pull hard in that direction, which made me uncomfortable.

Around here they're really common. Trail-a-bikes or tag-a-longs.