prats is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default burning at episiotomy site!!

Its one month today since I delivered my baby girl vaginally........since yesterday i am having burning sensation at the episiotomy site...........did anyone else experience this? if yes what did u do??

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had tearing and stitches both times and can remember having discomfort that came and went for quite a while. I'd probably first grab a mirror or my SO and have a looksie and make sure it didn't appear to be an infection (bright red, oozing, etc). Assuming not, I found great relief from epson salt soaks. Fill the tub with a few inches of warm (but not hot) water and epson salt. Soak for as long as you can (which with a newborn is probably 15mins if you are lucky).

I found that sometimes the irritation came from the stitches. Hope you find some relief soon!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If this is new onset burning, I would call your Dr/midwife's office. You could possibly have an infection. I had pain from my episiotomy (with DD1) for months, but it was consistent pain. Otherwise, break out the sitz bath.

I had a lot of pain/discomfort from my episiotomy. I kept calling my OB and they would tell me it's normal as long as I didn't have any oozing, and to keep doing sitz baths. I did, and it still didn't help. So then I called my general practicioner because I thought it may be hemmorroids or something, and when I went in to see her, she looked and said my stitches were messed up and I wasn't healing properly. I went back to my OB and they fixed the problem and I was fine after that. I've since changed OBs!

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It could be the stitches disolving. That itchs/burns a lot and while my OB said it would be over by 6 weeks I had one or two that hung around for 8-10 weeks.

prats is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

hey gals.........thanks for ur response...........had been to my OB........she said i had a mild yeast infection at the tear site.......probably coz i was cleaning it too gently due to the soreness......over the counter yeast treatment will help....