Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    liamsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Going crazy during diaper changes

It's seriously becoming a two person job to change DS's diaper. For the past couple of weeks he would scream bloody murder if we laid him down on the changing table. Now we change him on the floor or our bed, but he cries and cries and tries to crawl away. I usually ask DH--if he's available--to help hold down DS while I quickly change the diaper. Is this a temporary thing? I know babies get squirmy as they get older during changes, but I never thought DS would react like this. Any suggestions?

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

nak I used to scratch my head at comments like this..... now i have dd2

special toys -bonus if washable

rotate the toys so theyre still fresh

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

wow, i thought i was the only one with this problem. my ds does the same. starts screaming his head off when i lie him down to change his diaper or onesie. actually, what i started doing is just doing the diaper/onesie changes while he's standing. i've tried the floor or a bed, and it's worse bc he has more freedom to roll and get away from me (the changing pad helps restrict his movement a little bit). if i have to change a onesie, i have him sit and put his head/arms through while he's sitting, then snap it while he's standing. that works for us. for some reason, he hates lying down on his back, but is more than happy to sit or stand.

and yeah, toys help too. that usually gets me a few seconds to take old diaper off, put new dipe on. then once diaper is on and he starts getting bored and begins screaming/rolling, i let him stand to snap onesie at the crotch. if i'm using disposable dipe, i can put the diaper one while he is standing (this can't really be done with prefolds/liners/covers)
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 08-23-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Yes to both: it's a phase, have a toy handy. Something awesome that's only for changing time that's totally absorbing. For DD it was a bottle of teething tablets. (I usually do not let her play with anything resembling pills as I don't want her to think of them as toys - this has been the only exception so far)
    mom to one sweet little girl born in late '08
    and -surprise!- one sweet little boy born in late '11

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS has done this since he could roll away from me willingly. He has calmed down just a little at 14 months.

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Singing/getting in his face giggling and such may work, just like new toys or a musical something or another. A STASH of new little interesting items (think happy meal toys type items) is really handy. Finger puppets are working well here - on his fingers, not mine.

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS3 is terrible about diaper changes too. Has been for months. All he wants to do is grab himself the instant I remove his diaper...much worse of course when it's poopy. Now that DS can stand up, I've had some success in changing him standing up.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It's like WWF wresting when I have to change DS3's diaper. He HATES it. I pretty much let him play with something that I wouldn't normally let him play with and he LOOOVES that. Like I use one of those peri squirt bottles to wet my wipes (cloth diaper) and he is obsessed with that. I wouldn't normally let him play with that, b/c the cap could come off, but since I'm right there, I let him play with it, and it keeps him occupied enough for me to get his diaper changed in a fraction of the time it does to try to do it when he is fighting me.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Fun toys (never worked for my ds, but I hear it does for many babies)
    Change standing (never mastered this for poppy diapers but worked great for wet ones)
    Pin baby down with one leg across chest whole changing as fast as humanly possible

Catherine

Ugh...I've definitely gone throught this with DS and he's still like this at least once a day! I find it very helpful to keep small board books on the changing table between the changing pad and changing table edge. I've memorized most of them, so right when I start reciting one of the books, it catches his attention and he grabs that particular book and looks through it. I also sing silly songs and songs he likes to distract him, make funny noises/faces, etc. Good luck!!
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast