Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Question HE laundry detergent ?s, what do you use, and why?

Since powdered detergents are going the way of the dodo as far as HE machines go I have settled with Tide Free & Gentle HE liquid, but I still prefer powder. I find the liquid more messy but so far it's the only thing that seems to get our clothes super clean and not irritates our skin. I've tried Country Save powder, and 7th Generation; thought about Charlie's Soap too, but DD2 now has exczema and most complaints about Charlies has been with babies w/sensitive skin. The 7th Gen. was better than Country Save, but I can't find it anymore, only the liquid which is horribly overpriced.

Has anyone had any skin issues with Gain HE Orginal Fresh powder? Consumers Reports rated it as the best overall detergent for HE machines. All of the other top detergents were regular Tide which both DD1 and I am allergic too.

ETA: I have also used Kirkland Environmentally friendly liquid free & clear, and Bio Kleen Citrus and both were just okay.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-24-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 15
    DD L, 11
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

We use Kirkland brand liquid from Costco.
    Al

DS 10/25/03
    DD 1/23/07

We use All small & mighty free & clear HE. I haven't purchased any since they switched to the formula that can be used in regular and HE machines, but we like it!

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use Purex Naturals...the one in the clear green container.

army_mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just started to use Gain HE powder. I prefer powder as well (and Target only had Gain and Tide in powder) and I love the smell of gain. So far no issues but I don't think DD is supersensitive to most detergents. When DD was newborn we used Charlie's but DH didn't care for it. If DH buys, we use Tide. If I buy we use Gain. No allergies so far so we don't have to be ultra picky with detergent.
    Last edited by army_mom; 08-24-2010 at 03:09 PM.

We use All free and clear and haven't had any issues. Then again, I don't think either of my kids have particularly sensitive skin.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Biokleen, love it. Eco friendly and works, I prefer the liquid, as the powder is a mess for me. I am a laundry clutz, and end up with detergent all over the washing machine...
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

All Free and Clear or Tide Free and Clear, whichever I can get cheaper. DS has eczema and I have sensitive skin, these have worked for us. We used Arm and Hammer for awhile but I recently had some trouble finding it for HE washers and havent needed to buy new stuff lately so I havent been looking for it.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BelleoftheBallFlagstaff View Post
    Biokleen, love it. Eco friendly and works, I prefer the liquid, as the powder is a mess for me. I am a laundry clutz, and end up with detergent all over the washing machine...
    I soo wanted to like this because you recommended it and while it worked okay for diaper covers I just got so so results on the clothes. Maybe it's our hard water too that I find the powder works better. I prefer the powder because I can sweep it up with a push broom vs. the liquid (esp. at the end of the bottle) that gets all over the top of the bottle and then drips.

I was hoping that our Costco kept the HE Gain because worst case scenario I knew that if it caused issues I could take it back. Plus it's on special this month.

I love either Tide Free & Clear, or Cheer Free & Clear powder but neither of those come in HE formulas. I also grew up on Arm & Hammer, but it's not HE formula either; their scents never bothered me much.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 15
    DD L, 11
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

FWI...I have bought Tide Free and Clear HE at Target recently.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast