Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for your suggestions!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I absolutely LOVE the Ecover tabs. We've been using them for several years (with 2 different dishwashers during that time) after trying a variety of other natural options and they work the best for us by far. I stock up on 4-5 boxes of them at the health food store in the next town. I recently ran out and had to grab some Seventh Generation liquid from the local grocery store instead and didn't even finish the bottle. Our dishes just weren't getting clean and I quickly remembered why I didn't like it when we first tried it. Finally got back to that health food store and walked out with 4 boxes of Ecover. Also, the lemon Seventh Generation had a noticeable fragrance (to my sensitive nose) compared to the Ecover. Not as bad or perfumey as the conventional dishwasher detergents I've used, but noticeable just the same. I much prefer no fragrance during the dishwasher cycle or on the clean dishes.

For rinse aid, we've been using Ecover as well, since before we switched to the tablets even. I bought a 6-pack at Amazon a couple of years ago and am just now finishing the last bottle.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We like the 7th gen powder, BUT we only use one tablespoon of it. It doesn't have the toxic odor like the mainstream DW det have. We tried biokleen and it was AWFUL! I ended up selling two unused containers of it at a yard sale for only a couple of bucks each. For liquid detergent for handwashing, I like the sam's club, 'member's mark' green stuff. It works well, is cheap and doesn't have a really strong scent.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

We love the TJ's powder too. Tried Seventh generation and Ecover, both didn't work that well. I use only 1 teaspoon of TJ in the prewash and main wash. Rinses clean and dishes come out sparkling clean. No odor either

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

love the ecover tabs.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

I, too, am late to hop onto the green bandwagon but just picked up a box of the Ecover dishwasher something from Costco last weekend. Not sure if it's powder or the tabs, as I haven't opened the box yet. I'm finishing the last dregs of my Kirkland liquid dishwasher detergent. I know, I should just toss it but I can't bear to waste it. Just thought I'd mention Costco has Ecover branded dishwasher stuff.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

ecover tabs. They were ranked very highly in Consumer Reports one time too.

Work as well as Electrosol, etc. for me.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

kms00 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I like the Method pink grapefruit ones. I have also used white vinegar in the rinse aid spot and it seemed to work well.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kms00 View Post
    I like the Method pink grapefruit ones. I have also used white vinegar in the rinse aid spot and it seemed to work well.
    I remember reading this can "etch" glassware. YMMV.

eta:maybe I'm remembering wrong and it was baking soda that etches glass (if used in some sort of homemade dishwashing detergent).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2