Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    If this makes you feel better, the other day I heard a commercial on the radio from a grocery store that gives "tips" and then promotes the products, and they also said to add half a cup of baking powder to the wash, I laughed so hard picturing the poor woman who'd follow that instruction. I don't know how many people review that before airing, and still they didn't catch it. So don't feel bad about the pregnancy brain!
    LOL, so true. Pg brain is a very valid excuse!

Has anyone noticed that the baking soda/powder at TJs these days has the labels "reversed" from tradition? The red can (looks like Mumford powder) is Baking Soda, and the yellow and red can (looks like A&H soda) is Baking Powder. Makes me paranoid when baking.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Okay, nice tips here! To answer a couple of questions:

1) I have an HE front loader. It's always hanging open in between washes.

2) I do one load a day and it's probably a couple of hours between the time it's done washing and when I put it in the dryer. On high heat.

3) I've tried sniffing Dh, and he doesn't smell like this, only some of his clothes. In particular his Tshirts, which he wears for running, biking to and from work, and working outside. And it gets on our sheets. Almost all of it is cotton, but I have a capilene shirt that STUNK. Even after I washed it, there was still a lingering smell.

4) None of the kids's clothes smell like this. Even the dipes don't smell like this after coming out of the dryer.

I am tempted to empty out my entire Tshirt drawer and wash everything all at once, because it seems as though a few shirts are contaminating everything else.

However, I have plenty of baking soda and vinegar so I will try those. I also have Oxy, but I'd rather save that for stain removal. I have a sheet load coming up Sunday so I will try it.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have the same problem - my mother calls it "old man smell".

It seems to be worse in our t's and sheets, too. I have always thought of it as an oily or greasy kind of residue in our clothes/sheets so would the baking soda/ vinegar work on that?

I totally know what you mean about wanting to washing everything - I open my dresser drawer and the smell hits me. I do wash sheets if they have been stored awhile (like flannel sheets) before putting them on the bed. Also makes me reconsider my use of unscented detergent.

glad to hear that I'm not the only one! (DH claims he doesn't smell it. . .)
    marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have the same problem, too - mainly with DH's t-shirts. Still trying to figure out the cause. Have you had any luck, OP?

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Melinda, this is one of the reasons I've been trying to figure out how to add 20 Mule Team Borax to our wash loads. I couldn't stand the smell from DH's clothes anymore. I've been adding it all week and it's made a big difference. I just don't know if I'm ruining my washer in the meantime!

Linda

Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've had good luck with WIN Sport Detergent. It removed some serious funk from microfiber diaper inserts, towels and DH"s gym clothes.
    Jennifer
    Mommy to a big girl and a little girl with a sweet boy in the middle (and always missing our sweet baby boy #2, stillborn 7/12)

"The work of today is the history of tomorrow and we are its makers." Juliette Gordon Low

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Question: for front loaders, when and where do you put the vinegar and baking soda?

Every once in a while when my front loader starts smelling of mildew, I run a sanitary or tub clean cycle with bleach in the bleach compartment. probably not the safest chemical to use, but it takes out the stink. wondering if vinegar and baking soda would work here...

btw, I wrote baking powder everywhere and went back and corrected them all to soda!

mattiew is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Charlie's Soap was not working for DH's workout clothes (still stinky) so I recently purchased Rock in Green. So far so good!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've never smelled the "Asian Guy smell"? That's a new one for me. I would try vinegar in the rinse cycle.

ETA: My DH's undershirt drawer does have a smell when I open it. They're all clean shirts, but there is a left over smell.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    I've never smelled the "Asian Guy smell"? That's a new one for me.
    Me neither! I'm so curious!
    DD
    DS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast