Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I second that you may not need to use it prophylactically, unless your kids are really prone to rashes or have diarrhea. We don't usually use anything and rarely have an issue.

I use plain old petroleum jelly as my diaper cream of choice (a trick I learned from some Heme-Onc nurses I used to work with--boy do they know rashes!). It works great and doesn't sting on severe rashes. Simple ingredient list. Dirt cheap so you can feel ok using a lot (maybe that's why it works so well).
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

we've tried a few and have always gone back to bees. it is 8.29 at the allergysuperstore.com and try this link to get 10.00 off 30.00.
    http://www.allergysuperstore.com/use...MdYSnB8SQQR7G&

I agree, there is no reason you need to use diaper rash cream every day to prevent a diaper rash--it's to treat a rash--thus you only need a little bit every so often.

To prevent, you could use something like A&D ointment. But again, you shouldn't need to. If he isn't eating something he is sensitive too, he's not wearing disposable diapers he is sensitive to, or you're not washing his clothes or diapers in detergent that he is allergic too, there shouldn't be a rash.

Out of my 3 kids, the only one who has had more than 1x diaper rash is DS#2, who wore the darned Dry Max diapers before I knew about all the trouble. Threw them out, and that was it.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Good point, ladies! We didn't use it prophylactically with DD1; she occasionally had a rash (esp in the first 3 months she had a few bad ones) which would clear up with Desitin. DH started to use the Burt's Bees with every diaper change with DD2, and lo and behold, she has never had a rash. So we didn't mess with our diapering equation. But you are right that we probably don't need to. I just ordered 2 more Burt's Bees and hopefully this will last us much longer. I will still plan on putting it on her before I put her down for the night, because she often goes 10-12 hrs without a diaper change then. Thanks!

for Sandy Hook

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've tried California Baby, Burt's Bees, and Weleda and like Weleda the best.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Momto1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I agree there's no need to use prophylactically. I only use diaper cream if I see some redness in the diaper area, otherwise, I just try to change diapers frequently enough so that DD never develops a rash. We're still on the same tube of Burt's Bees that we bought before DD was born 16 months ago.
    WOHM to DD, born 5/4/09

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't know if you have a Martin's Grocery (Giant Company) but today when I was there they had the 3oz for $6.50 or $6.99 (can't remember which)!
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just discovered and LOVE Yes to Baby Carrotts diaper cream. We found it as we were searching for the crem with the highest zinc oxide content...25%! Its thick but smells and works great! Expensive ($9.99/tube) but worth every penny to me!
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2