Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dr C View Post
    A night cough is a very common sign of asthma (especially if it happens in the wee hours of the morning, rather than just when you first lie her down and when she wakes up in the AM).
    This was my initial thought too. DS has asthma, and would be woken up with a night cough just like you describe. The Pulmicort works wonders with helping him sleep through the night.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    I agree with the PPers re: no night feedings (even getting rid of the bottle), check for asthma (my DS does pulmicort every night before bed), maybe reflux (you mentioned throwing up).
    We use Pulmicort, too, and DS had reflux and was on Zantac for that until a couple of months ago. We also find when he gets sick (and is woken up by congestion/coughing) using a nebulizer (with saline, or albuterol - by prescription from the pulmonologist) helps him breathe easier.

I would recommend consulting a pulmonologist for the coughing. They would probably be able to decide if it is asthma, and how best to handle it.

Once you are able to make her confortable at night, then you'll be able to tackle the other sleep-related issues (night-feeding, etc.) The Healthy Sleep Habits book is great!

GL!
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you all sooo much for the replies.

I've not wanted to post as I was worried we were the cause of the sleep issues, and was feeling guiltly, but was sooo sleep deprived was no longer able to think straight about anything. It helps to see your replies to think through it.

I'll make f/u apt with our ped to review the cough. We have been addressing at well baby visits, which isn't really fair to our Ped. I think she hasn't been focused on our concerns as DD always looks great during the day (ie at check ups!). I think separating that issue out will help us reinforce good behaviors and know the difference of when she needs our help at night and when she needs to learn to self sooth. I come from a family of "less medication is better", so tend to minimize medical concerns. I'm certainly not opposed to meds though... really more habit than anything, and I don't want to miss an opportunity to really help DD.

Still working on our routine. There's sort of one... but probably too flexible for an infant to rely on and likely some of our problem too. *sigh*

Off to buy book that you all have liked... I'm increasingly certain it's at the bottom of a pile in the house already... but what's $20 (or less) if I get even a few hours extra of sleep?!?!?

Perhaps try the libarary for the book? Although there seems to suddenly be a run on it in our town. I went to a second library yesterday and again, it had just been checked out.

Default Some options?

I agree with other posters about checkiing into asthma, but in the meantime--
    1) maybe try a humidifer? if it is allergies it can help with congestion (couldn't hurt)
    2) My ped said it was ok to give our 14 month old Zyrtec & bendryl (childrens) and my pharmacist husband agreed. Our daughter has allergies (I know--too young, but if DH & i have allergies & are stuffy and she's stuffy--do the math)
    We dose her 2.5 ml children's Zyrtec at night (it's non-drowsy) and the nights we don't give it to her, she wakes up crying cuz she can't breathe. Bendryl wears off too quickly.

Just something to try until you can check out to see if baby has asthma!

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks! I'll try Zyrtec. I've been doing benedryl on nights she seems more congested, but it doesn't always get us through the night. Things have gotten MUCH better recently. When I posted, things were beyond bad. Like scary to drive the next day bad.... Then, like a cloud lifting, things have gotten sooo much better. Still coughing but not as frantic/puking/squalling, so she must have been feeling terrible (no new teeth though, no fevers).

She's had a few good nights, but last two have been bad again. This time she's got congested for sure kinda cough. I gave up my 'acute' visit with our ped for a 'pre-op' as we're now having to go back for round two of ear tubes. So will reschedule the 'acute visit' again... Will try to post follow up with the results!

Thanks again for everyone's input. Feels like little long distance hugs to a desparate momma!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2