Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    Never used powder detergent, but have a suggestion for the smell.

boltfam- We started to use affresh tablets to clean it. If it smells already, the directions says to run three cycles in a row with one tablet per cycle. After I ran it, the mildew wiped off. Not sure that it will help mold. My machine was started to smell and this helped.

I agree it is a pain to clean it out the door gasket. I do wish my machine had a cleaning cycle on it but it is 8 yrs old. Next time, I know.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDe...PartID=1373065
    I'll have to try the Affresh tablets to clean it. Where do you find those? It looks like I might have to try Charlie's Soap. I've also never tried powedered detergent, but we have very hard water, so maybe the liquid detergent is part of my problem. I've already tried vinegar and baking soda (not together), and it's helped but hasn't eliminated the smell. Sorry to OP for hijacking your thread.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My Front Loader has a section to add Oxiclean or similar powders in addition to the detergent section. I assume Borax would go there.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BayGirl2 View Post
    My Front Loader has a section to add Oxiclean or similar powders in addition to the detergent section. I assume Borax would go there.
    Amy, could you add powder and liquid simultaneously? There is a piece that I have to move in mine that makes me think I can only do powder or liquid. I suppose I could switch to a powder and combine the borax with that. II'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer.

Linda

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by almostamom View Post
    Amy, could you add powder and liquid simultaneously? There is a piece that I have to move in mine that makes me think I can only do powder or liquid. I suppose I could switch to a powder and combine the borax with that. II'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer.

Linda
    Yes. My washer has 4 sections - one for bleach, one for detergent (liquid or powder, with a piece to move), one for fabric softener (IIRC) and one for Oxiclean. It has an oxiclean cycle too, so that's probably why there's a special section.

I'd see what the manufacturer says, but probably mixing Borax with powder would be best. I've actually never used Borax, does it work well?
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes. My washer has 4 sections - one for bleach, one for detergent (liquid or powder, with a piece to move), one for fabric softener (IIRC) and one for Oxiclean. It has an oxiclean cycle too, so that's probably why there's a special section.

I'd see what the manufacturer says, but probably mixing Borax with powder would be best. I've actually never used Borax, does it work well?
    I always used Borax when we used cloth diapers. I've been using it for the past week and I notice a big difference in DH's clothes. They don't smell "funky" anymore. I just don't want to ruin my washer while trying to get rid of the smell.

Linda

I think it is okay to mix Borax with powder...just not liquid. Hope you hear from the mfg. soon. I'm waiting to hear back from GE again to see they say about where to put Borax. GL!

Just heard back from the mfg. I am supposed to add powder directly to the tub.

MissyAg94 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My Maytag manual recommends using powder detergent for all but the gentle cycle to help prevent odor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2