kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Update- we have decided to build loft bed with family -Bunk Bed Issue

Right now we have T sleeping in the boys' bedroom. F is in a pack in play on the landing essentially in the hallway outside of the bedrooms. I am thinking that something like this:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bab/1921527185.html

would work best for sharing a regular sized room (not small, not big). But I am wondering if that will work long term. I am thinking about getting this or something like it and instead of assembling the lower bed, putting it in the garage for now and then put a crib (later tot bed) where the lower bunk would be so that the boys have maximum floor space for a few more years. I like the built in storage idea. It seems the desk would have limited use because of size but maybe I could get drawers on either end? But perhaps max floor space would be achieved with a traditional bunk bed? Then we need to get a bed rail and move F out of a PNP/crib to a twin pretty young.

What do you think? Bear in mind that:

Yes, they have to share a room. No other room is feasible. We have a 3rd bedroom, but it is 2 floors below and quite small.

I have widely spaced kids so that complicates the room sharing a bit because they have TOTALLY different toys. Plush ring stackers and teeny tiny legos. Board books and long novels. When F is 7, T will be almost 13 and it is possible we will still be living here. Not the plan but I want to be ready for that and not have to buy new furniture again.

If you had something like this as a child how functional was it once you were older?
    Last edited by kijip; 09-19-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have this loft bed with a regular twin captains bed underneath in an 'L' shape. We plan to split up the boys soon and will likely get another loft for the other room, just to maximize floor space. I like that we can put whatever undeneath.

I like your first plan best so you can use the crib longer and a loft style will be more practical f you do end up splitting the boys up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Twin-Size-Freedo...item20b3511fa8
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have a good friend with a similar bed with a similar range of ages (2-12 yrs) and they hate it (it's going on CL ASAP). It really limits the way you can use the space in a room. It has to be away from the wall enough to use the desk and access the drawers. The bed sticking out is a pain for floor space and generally it doesn't get used for the way it was designed at all.

In your case, I might consider just a simple loft from IKEA for T and put the crib/todlder bed under for now. Once F is ready for a bigger bed, revisit what kind of bunks you really need/want. As much as I want to invest in nice furniture and buy something that will last until college, I have resigned myself to IKEA and CL until all three are older.

ETA: Whatever you get, I would insist on a ladder that can be easily removed. I know they spend most of the time with the ladder removed to prevent the toddlers from climbing up the bunkbeds and just put it back as needed for the older ones.
    Last edited by o_mom; 09-02-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My neighbors have something similar for their boys. I think they started out with one unit like that and then switched it a bit when the boys got older. Instead of having the older boy in the top bunk and the younger boy in the bottom when they were older, they added another set. The bottom bunk was switched out and converted to a study/storage space. So each boy sleeps on the top bunk on his side and has a desk underneath.

Granted, the older boy is only about 3 years older than the younger, but it works on a space planning level.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We are building a loft bed with bookshelves and a space for a crib down below. My brother's partner is helping my husband and T make it right now. supplies were $124 plus whatever we spend on paint. Way nicer and way cheaper than most things we could buy new or used for that matter.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.