Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Needing Some Encouragement

My husband and I just got back from our 34 week check-up. I'm a mess b/c we found out the baby was breech. The whole time we've been thinking it was flipped b/c baby was having hiccups (or what I thought to be hiccups) down low and the nurse practioner also told us at two of our last appointments that she thought she felt the butt up high. I guess we just hadn't considered that the baby could in fact be breech.

I've been very much looking forward to a natural, vaginal childbirth. I've read so much (and our childbirth class focused a lot on) initial bonding with the baby and how important it is for the baby. You lose most all of that with a c-section and the thought is literally breaking my heart. I haven't stopped crying since we left our appointment two hours ago.

I know babies can flip up until the last minute, but my doctor didn't seem too positive about that happening. I think she said only 5% of babies will at this point in pregnancy. Does anyone have any happy, encouraging words or pleasant c-section stories to share? I'm needing some (Mom) encouragement right now. Thanks!

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

http://spinningbabies.com/

Wish I had something comforting to say. I've never had a c/s, so anything I could say would be trite and uninformed.

Take a deep breath and remember the important thing is the having (long term) of the baby and not the having (process) of the baby.

I was so set on natural child birth that I hadn't even read the baby book chapters on c sections. When I found out I had to have a c section because my son was so big, I was devestated. And while I won't lie, it is MAJOR surgery, I still felt tons of initial bonding and don't feel the birth was any less magical because of the medical assistance. Birth is special, it is a historic moment in time. But it is just one moment. Being blessed for years and years with your baby is what really matters. Not how they get here.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, I had a 36 week ultrasound, and I had skull head-butting my lungs, just like I had thought. My big guy turned head-down about a week and a half later. So it does happen.
    He was also facing the wrong way when I went into labor, but he turned after a few hours.

And my guy was nine pounds!

My last child was breech at 39 weeks. I opted for a manual version (where the dr. turns the baby by manipulating my belly). I'd had a friend who'd had it done and said the pain was worse than labor; so I was really freaked out to say the least. When they give you all the required "worst case scenarios," it only gets worse. My Dr. "gooped" up my belly with the ultrasound gel, placed her hands on my belly and gave one firm push. My baby flipped immediately! There was no pain at all. My labor was started and she was born 4 hours later; no problem at all. Hang in there; it will be OK!

Beth

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had a c-section with a breech baby and completely bonded with my baby immediately. It was the most beautiful moment of my life.

I had a healthy 9 lb DD who is now 9 months old and that is all I could ask for. I don't feel I missed out on anything with a c-section nor have I ever heard of bonding issues because of one.

Be happy your baby is healthy. I would take a c-section any day over a vaginal birth with severe complications or demise. I am sure you will cherish the moment of birth.

I recovered from my c-section very quickly and I would have one again with no hesitation. Don't be scared. Best of luck

(FYI: My doctor, a high-risk Obgyn in NY, said she would never do the manual flip. She has seen at least 3 cases of fetal death because of it and most doctors won't do one.. She, herself, had a c-section for a breech baby and never regretted it.)
    Last edited by llama8; 09-02-2010 at 07:23 PM.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sorry about the breech baby. My first was breech and I seriously think she came out practically talking having been so close to my voice in utero! It is certainly not the worst news you can get, but I know it can be so discouraging.

Do a search for "breech baby" on these boards and you'll come up with lots of similar stories. Outcomes have ranged from babies who flipped on their own (and were either born vaginally or ended up c/s for other reasons), babies who stayed breech till their due date and were born by c/s, babies who flipped by manual version and were born vaginally or those that still needed to be delivered by c/s for other reasons, and even babies delivered breech vaginally.

34 weeks is very early. I was able to successfully flip my first baby at 33 weeks or so using the "ironing board" method - basically, elevating my legs against a wall, or keeping them raised on a stack of pillows for 20-30 minutes at a time. I literally felt the baby flip herself. But then, she flipped back again at around 36 or 37 weeks. Like you, I wanted a vaginal birth (dreaded a c-section) so I had a manual version at around 37 or 38 weeks. It was successful. The doc who did it had been practicing for 35 years and every version he performed led to a vaginal birth. I ended up with a c/s 12 days past my due date after a long unmedicated labor with midwives and every effort for a natural birth. My baby and I bonded amazingly, she started nursing within 15 minutes of birth, and my milk came in right on schedule, 2 days post partum. My recovery was fine as well. My second baby was delivered vaginally and we bonded just as well! She probably started to nurse about 8 minutes after birth, but that was the only difference.

Good luck and don't despair! It's early days yet. Welcome to the unpredictable journey of giving birth.
    Last edited by citymama; 09-02-2010 at 07:23 PM.

for Sandy Hook

I hope you have the childbirth experience you want, but I just wanted to tell you your worst case scenario, a c-section, isn't really all that terrible. I had to go through two, one because of an emergency and one planned, and am going through a third in 8 weeks. I couldn't be more bonded with my children, honestly. I don't think your childbirth experience ultimately will dictate what kind of experience motherhood will be for you. The emergency c-section sucked, the second one was fine--but either way, I got two healthy, beautiful children out of it and healed really fast (especially the second non-emergency one.)

Being stressed, whether you deliver vaginally or through a c-section, is not going to do you any favors. You are 4-10 weeks away from having your BABY in your arms--that's what matters most, honestly!!!
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
    and most doctors won't do one..
    I don't think this is an accurate statement. I know plenty of doctors who would do an ECV. (Although I do have to admit that versions are often more successful on second or subsequent babies. There is more room to turn.)

SkyrMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I too had my heart set on a vaginal birth; but ended up late, being induced, more drugs and interventions than I had planned on & with an emergency c-section.

It didn't matter one bit... my baby in my arms was all that I focused on and it was one of the most amazing moments ever. Not to downplay the section, it is major surgery and I found I had to concentrate on healing and watching what I did, but it will be ok.

A healthy you & a healthy baby is all that matters in the long run.
    DD 4/09 DS 8/12

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast