Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Quote Originally Posted by joules View Post
    And he did NOT look safe in the convertible, he was soooo slouched over - it looked like his chin was on his chest.
    Did you have your seat checked by a tech before you took him home from the hospital? It sounds like the seat may also not have been at a 45 degree recline which is necessary to keep the airway of a newborn open. This recline can be a bit tricky to get with some convertibles and often requires pool noodles. Do you remember if you used any? (Sorry, didn't go back to the other thread.)

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Multimama View Post
    Did you have your seat checked by a tech before you took him home from the hospital? It sounds like the seat may also not have been at a 45 degree recline which is necessary to keep the airway of a newborn open. This recline can be a bit tricky to get with some convertibles and often requires pool noodles. Do you remember if you used any? (Sorry, didn't go back to the other thread.)

hmmm it's possible it wasn't at a 45 degree recline. We didn't have it checked out..oops. The first available appointment was 2 weeks after DS's due date (we called over 2 months in advance). Pool noodles? I haven't read about that...I guess I'll have to do some more research before we switch him into the convertibles. Oh and also make another appointment for a tech!!

Quote Originally Posted by joules View Post
    hmmm it's possible it wasn't at a 45 degree recline. We didn't have it checked out..oops. The first available appointment was 2 weeks after DS's due date (we called over 2 months in advance). Pool noodles? I haven't read about that...I guess I'll have to do some more research before we switch him into the convertibles. Oh and also make another appointment for a tech!!
    If you didn't use a pool noodle at all I bet the problem was the lack of recline. I think in most cars a Britax will be about 30-35 degrees reclined without any assistance. This should be fine now that he's older, but it's worth getting the seat checked by a tech anyway. If you can't find one you can see in your area the techs over at car-seat.org are also very good about doing a "check" with pictures. They can't check everything, obviously, but they certainly would have picked up on the recline angle issue and been able to explain how to fix it. (Some post here in the carseat forum too.)

Of course, with a Britax convertible it's possible the straps would have still be too high for him as a newborn, but this is just FYI so you know what the issue was. Like we said though, quite a few convertibles do fit newborns well though and have more of a natural recline to them than Britax.

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Multimama View Post
    Did you have a really big baby? Most kids don't fit in the Marathon from birth. (Dare I offer more car seat advice/commentary? )
    dd was 7lbs 4oz 20 inches, we had the seat installed at nemours childrens hospital and they have a strict policy that they will not install a seat intended for an infant if it can not recline 45 degrees. the hosptial where dd was born showed us how to roll receiving blankets around her and they check her fit before they let you leave. i figured if the seat was designed and tested for 5-65 and the maternity RN that came out with us was okay with it then it was fine with me. i had my 20% bru coupon ready if it was a no go as it was literally across the street from the hospital.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13