Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Having 2nd Thoughts about Fisher-Price Newborn Rock 'n Play Sleeper - Feedback?

We were planning on using the Fisher-Price Newborn Rock 'n Play Sleeper in our room for the baby to sleep in at night. My husband assembled it yesterday and now I'm having second thoughts. It's got great reviews but I just don't know if it will be as comfortable and safe for baby as a bassinet, Pack 'n Play or an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper.

What I like about the Rock 'n Play is that it's not too high, but it's not so low that it feels like baby's sleeping on the floor. The baby also sleeps upright which is a plus in case she has GERD. It's also pretty small so it won't take up much room in our already crowded bedroom. And it's obviously not that expensive

However, once assembled I noticed the harness system. All the sleepers we have are Sleepsacks or Swaddle Me's which keep baby's legs together at night. This won't work if the baby's legs need to go into the harness. Also, if the baby's diaper leaks through, we'll have to take off the whole cover to wash it - there's no waterproof pad underneath and the directions say not to place blankets or anything else inside of the Rock 'n Play (to prevent suffocation).

I suppose I could just put the baby in footed pajamas at night but then she won't be swaddled and I'm worried she'll get cold. I can't throw a blanket on her either (again because of the suffocation risk). I thought about putting lap pads under the baby to save myself from nighttime accidents but the directions recommend that you don't.

I know this is approved for night time sleeping but I'm just not sure it's going to work for us. I really don't want to go out and buy a bassinet though. Anyone have any experience with using the Rock 'n Play as a nighttime sleeper? I asked a friend of mine who also has one and she said she just doesn't use the harness (which doesn't seem too safe). Feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

We used this for our baby the first 2-3 months. We set it inside the pack n play and was in our bedroom.

The reason is worked for us was:
    1. It was one less thing to buy. (co-sleeper, bassinet)
    2. He needed to sleep slightly elevated due to reflux.
    3. The vibrations helped him sleep.

We used the straps to keep him in. We just did it on the bottom, with his legs tucked inside of the swaddle. It worked just fine.

Now he is 8 mos. old and still uses it to play. It worked for us. Let me know if you have other questions.

I think that looks great. DS2 slept in the Soothing Motions Glider, which I guess they don't make anymore. I like that the head is slightly elevated and that you can move it around the house easily. DS2 had reflux and I was always worried about laying him down flat in the beginning. You can easily take this along if you visit someone overnight or stay at a hotel.
    Big Boy 2/04
    Little Boy 7/08

bigpassport is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't know anything about the Rock 'n Play Sleeper, but wanted to suggest maybe getting a basic PNP also. You can find ones with just a bassinet and no changing table, newborn napper, mobile, etc. pretty reasonably priced. If you do any car travelling, the pack n play is nice to have as a portable crib. Also, if you happen to have a two story house, maybe use the PNP upstairs and the Rock 'n Play Sleeper downstairs.
    Lee
    DS 06/09
    Expecting b/b twins via adoption, Summer 2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I actually bought this and took it back when DD2 was 2 mos. old; she has reflux and wouldn't sleep in her crib for naps (did fine at night w/the Swaddle Me, but not during the day). I would've been happier had I bought it when she was born. I tried her in it in the store and got the biggest smile. However I brought it home, posted a post here (do a search), and then decided to return it because it only has a weight limit of 20lbs it since DD2 was already over 10lbs by then.

I ended up getting a Nap Nanny because it had no upper end weight limit, and is longer than the Rock N Play sleeper. Of course the Nap Nanny is double the price, but for the last month I was home with DD2 before going back to work it was life saver. I love how portable the nap nanny is and thankfully DD2 doesn't mind it either. Now of course your baby can't sleep overnight in a nap nanny in a crib or an elevated surface so if you are looking for something elevated then the Rock N Play sleeper is probably more of what you are looking for.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use it for my baby. She's just about 6.5 lbs at 3.5 weeks, so I don't think I have to worry about the weight for a while. Since she's such a little bundle, I just do the harness around her swaddle. It is really deep though, I bet you could get away without doing the harness for the first month or so. My last 3 had reflux & I was up all night with screaming babies. I don't think she has reflux, but I love that she sleeps (unlike all my others). Worth every cent- and more.

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

No experience with that, but when my son was younger we used to swaddle him and put him in his swing which has a 3-point harness. SwaddleMes have a slit in the back that you can put a harness strap through and if you fold down the flap in the front, you can harness as usual. Their legs are still in the pouch, but not quite so confined since the front flap is down, and their arms are swaddled as usual.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Oh really? Maybe I'll go get some swaddle mes! All I have are sleep sacks.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If being in a carseat too long puts baby at risk for getting too little oxygen, I'd worry that this could be a problem too. The ability to really lay down and stretch out is missing from this as well. I think that babies need to have the chance to roll into different positions (my ds1 was rolling onto his side and sleeping that way at 3w) and if they are confined then they can't do it. Flat headedness could be a concern if baby doesn't have the chance to really move around as much. I imagine there are situations where this product is really helpful but I would skip it and get a Pack n Play with bassinet or something like that.

Beth

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have used the rock and play sleeper for my baby since he was born. He is almost 3 months old and I am now transitioning him to a crib. This has been my favorite baby product by far. I can take it with us wherever we go and have a place for him to sleep or to put him down if we are eating. It isn't like a car seat--his body is fully extended when he is lying in it and not curved inwards. And he can move around and even shift to his side if he wants to. And it only costs about $40 on Amazon. HTH.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast