Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default If you are not planning having more chidren, did your Dh have a vasectomy?

My parents told me that I should tell Dh to have a vasectomy because other contraceptions are not 100% effective. What type of birth controls do you have if you are done having more children?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Even vascectomies aren't 100%, are they? Stats are 99.9% though. If you really don't want to get pg then he should get one and you should do something. I have a copper IUD. Dh changed his mind on a vasectomy and didn't get one. He wasn't comfortable doing it b/c he is young and life might make it so he wants more kids in the future (with me or with someone else if something happens in our relationship). He's the one more against more kids now than me so if I get pg it'll be his fault anyway since I have my end covered.

Beth

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Well, I'm on the pill. And it's been fine, except I sometimes forget and then we have to use a condom, which both of us don't like. DH is talking about a vasectomy, but I think I'll give the IUD a try first - little less permanent. Even though we know we're done, there's something about the permanency for us that we're not ready for. I know mamas here and in IRL that love theirs. I think it's 99%, same as for the pill.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes. DH got a vasectomy, somewhat unwillingly, because *I* had had 2 c/s, 3 high-risk PGys, 1 m/c and endless IF treatments. I figured *I* had done enough, thanks, it was time for DH to "step up". Dr's told me I should not get PG again for medical reasons, so DH had to do something.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DH is pro-V for himself. I'm not sure I'm ready for him to go that route, although I am 98% sure we aren't having any more kiddos.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

DH keeps putting it off. I have a Mirena and I LOVE it (as I have posted many times). He keeps say he'll do it next spring or fall etc but then is "too busy" to have it done. I really don't want more kids and neithor does he but I feel we are pretty safe with the IUD for now.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

We may or may not be done (way too early for something permanent like a vasectomy) but I just got a IUD and that seems like a good compromise. It's fully reversible but highly effective. I was shocked at the numbers that they provided on how many women will get pregnant in a year using each method of birth control. For the pill they say 5/100 (so 95% effective.) For IUDs, Depo-Provera, implants, and sterilization they say less than 1/100 (so 99+% effective.) I'm not sure how the numbers are calculated, but 5/100 seems like a big risk to me right now.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DH got his vasectomy. I didn't really have to convince him to do it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It was getting to the point... Can I have one now please LOL. Yes DH got the Big V. Was no big deal for him. He did it on a friday laid around that weekend and was back to work that monday. We were/are done done done. 4 boys the last was when we were 41.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nope, DH is not getting a V. We went through IF treatments to have our DD and DS. However, issues happen to be DH's not mine (he is sterile), so no need for one here. However we won't be going back to the RE for help anymore, so that is our form of BC.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast