Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    313

    Default eeeew gross, mold on clothes- what to do?

    So, earlier this week I threw some dirty bibs and wet hooded towels in the kids' hamper. I just took them out to wash and found mold growing. YUCK! (No, I won't be making that mistake again.) Anyway, the paranoid part of me thinks I should just throw them out to be on the safe side. (DD1 has allergies and eczema, worried about asthma in the future.) But, the practical part of me thinks I should just wash with hot water and not worry. Anway, who should win- paranoid or practical? Thanks!

  2. #2
    infomama's Avatar
    infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    America the Beautiful
    Posts
    10,393

    Default

    A quick Google search and it looks like vinegar is the key. You caught it soon so I would try this....


    Add 3/4 cups of white vinegar to the laundry load. "The vinegar will remove any moldy smell from clothing. Repeat this process until all traces of mold and its smell are gone. Use detergent afterwards to thoroughly clean your clothes."

    Source:http://moldblogger.com/how-to-remove...from-clothing/

  3. #3
    JBaxter's Avatar
    JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    15,778

    Default

    I would toss them but thats me. I have never gotten mold all the way out.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

    Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    139

    Default

    I soak mine in an Oxyclean bath for about 24 hours. That has happened to me a few times with dish towels and formula on DD's clothes that I thought was just drool, hehe. It removes all traces and I have a bad allergy to mold!

  5. #5
    Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Between the Lake and River
    Posts
    3,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I would toss them but thats me. I have never gotten mold all the way out.
    I pitch them too. I've never gotten it out, and the most frequent victim of mildew here is our white onsies. I've tried everything. Even bleaching doesn't get it all out.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

    **********************

    "I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

  6. #6
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    15,746

    Default

    I have gotten mildew out by using bleach in the wash water. In order to prevent any bleach spots, I mix the bleach first into a cup of water and then pour the water into the washer as it's filling up. That gets rid of the smell too.

    At the very least you could try this first. If it doesn't get the spots out then I'd throw them out.
    "People are made for happiness. Rightly then, you thirst for happiness. Christ has the answer to this desire of yours. But he asks you to trust him." -St. John Paul II

  7. #7
    bubbaray's Avatar
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    20,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I would toss them but thats me. I have never gotten mold all the way out.



    I am very allergic to mold, though, so that is what drives my decision.
    Melissa

    DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

  8. #8
    hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Land of boys
    Posts
    16,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I would toss them but thats me. I have never gotten mold all the way out.
    Me too! I've never gotten mold on clothing before, but just the idea of it skeeves me out and I cloth diaper!
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

  9. #9
    DrSally's Avatar
    DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    16,610

    Default

    If it's just bibs, I'd toss it. If I have wet bibs/rags, I hang them over the open laundry basket or set them by themselves on top of the washer, so they're not mingling with the other clothes.
    Sally

    My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

    Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    8,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I would toss them but thats me. I have never gotten mold all the way out.


    White vinegar is a wonderful thing, but it hasn't completely worked for me, either. I'd toss - not worth my time to deal with it!
    -Ivy

    Parenting two active, wonderful boys

    This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •