Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jess_g View Post
    Wow these are all such great ideas for a Lego party.

Codie, Can you tell me if your Lego store had dates available for Oct and what it would cost to have the party there. My 6 yr old loves the Lego store.

Thanks. J.
    I'm not the OP and I'm not sure where you live, but I overheard the sales person at the store at the South Shore Plaza in Braintree say that there were dates in October. They have two levels of parties...i.e. two price points but I didn't hear the entire discussion.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    I called the Lego store today and spoke with the manager about a party. He
    asked about the age range of the kids. He was very concerned about there
    being 5 year olds at the party. I was kind of shocked about that.

Also, the thing that disappoints me about the Lego party AT the store is there
    is no organized Lego build. I was hoping for it to run like the monthly free
    mini-model build. (where they have instruction sheets taped on the table,
    Lego store associates to help/ask questions, and everyone builds the same
    mini-model) I thought it would be cool since the October mini-model is
    Frankenstein. But apparently, they don't do that. The birthday party
    is just an hour long "free build". That doesn't sound like fun to me. I can
    plan a much better Lego party at my house!!
    It must vary by store. Here it is def. a guided build. I agree though that home or out of the store is likely more fun.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had a lot of fun planning a lego party at home for DS 6yr party. My favorite detail was the invitation. We made small rectangle "walls" using legos the size of a mailing label; printed the invitation on mailing labels and attached to the lego "walls";cut the label with a razor knife following the edge of each label; separated the labels and put them in an envelope. The kids received the invitations in the mail, dumped out the legos, and had to put together the wall to read the invitation. We included a parents invitation in a separate envelope just in case someone could not figure out the invitation.

Many of our party ideas came from the parties described on this site.

http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/lego.html

My son goes to a new school this year and he is asking for another lego party for his 8yr party. : )

Hope your son has a great birthday.
    angela

avd3875 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thank you OP, for this thread! The timing is perfect. DS wants a LEGO party for his 7th birthday in two months. Our LEGO store is about 30 minutes away, so not impossible, but not easy. The two price levels are $169.99 or $189.99. For the lower price each child gets to fill a "pick-a-brick" box and then build something with those pieces. The higher price includes a $100 gift card that you then use to buy a $10 set for each child to build at the party. The party host is there to assist kids who need help and keep customers out of the party. They only book parties one month out, so there is time, but we've decided to do it at home.
    We're going to buy sets that are <$5 for party favors, and they can use our extensive LEGO collection to build something during the partyWe might also let them build a $5 set during the party so they'll go home with two. I've decided that DH is a non-official LEGO Master (I really should post pictures of some of the amazing things he's built), and he can do so much more with the kids than a LEGO party host.
    All the ideas PPs have mentioned are wonderful. I am getting very excited about this year's party. I also found this blog with some great ideas for a LEGO party. http://deannasstuff.blogspot.com/200...day-party.html
    Annemarie
    DS 2003
    DD 2009

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like the birthdaypartyideas website, I just wish they had pictures too!

avd3875 does the $169.99 and the $189.99 include the birthday "kit", the one with the birthday minifigures or do you buy that separately?

avd3875 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

avd3875 does the $169.99 and the $189.99 include the birthday "kit", the one with the birthday minifigures or do you buy that separately?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the kit is included in the cost of the party. The kit is $60 if you buy it separately, but when you do it as part of the party you are paying that, plus the $100 for the gift card, and the remaining 29.99 is the in-store party fee, which gets you to the $189.99 party.

ETA: The kit is also included in the $169.99 party.
    Last edited by avd3875; 09-16-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: carification
    Annemarie
    DS 2003
    DD 2009

Lego party review:
    OK it was an hour long and was basically 2 folding tables set up in an L shape towards the front of our very tiny store. No chairs. 10 kids mostly 5yos. Free build - 2 guys basically just dumped legos on the tables for the kids to build with. Minimal guidance. 90% of the time, 90% of the kids were running around the store. For 5 yo's and a freebuild -- wasn't worth it. The truly COOL part was when the kids got to fill their party favor box with all the legos in the back of the store (kinda like a candy store....reaching into various bins).
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We went to a birthday party at a lego store a few months ago, and our experience was the same as pinkmomagain's. They did let the kids build a mini figure too, and that was ds' favorite part.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

After talking to my son further, he really wants his party at the Lego store.
    So, it's booked.

The party was $189.99. We get $100 Lego gift card and the $60 birthday kit.
    (The birthday kit includes party invitations, thank you notes, and birthday-themed
    mini-figures.)

I will probably also get the kids a Series 2 mini-figure.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Love this trhead! The idea of a Lego party sounds great. Our store is about an hour away so I am not sure how practicle it would be for us but maybe we could make it work. Can someone explain the $100 gift card to me? And what do you do about cake? Maybe have it at the food court? Or do you skip it all together? And how many kids can come to the party?

thanks, J.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast