Thread: Play yard

Default Play yard

I'm looking for a play yard (not a playpen or pack n play) for my 12 month daughter. I want to use it inside and outside. I just want a place for her to play for a bit safely, so I can get things done.

I'm considering the North Yards Superyard XT, but I'm worried that she'll push it over. She's walking a bit right now. Plus, we have wood floors, so I'm worried she'll push it all around. I'm also looking into the Kidco Playden. That seems more sturdy, but it sounds like I will need at least 2 of them. At $185 (on amazon, normally $280) each, that's a lot.

Do you guys have any experience with either of them?

Thanks.

We either have two or three sets of the Super Yard. We have carpet so I'm not sure what I can say there.

At first you use the gates to keep them within one small section (up to a year). After that you use the gate in conjunction with the furniture to keep them in a room (up to eighteen months). After that gates and locks are not for containment but rather for preventing access to.

I don't know of many kids ater the walking stage who could tolerate confinement. However if you are thinking of getting two sets of the play den, perhaps consider the Summer Infant safe and secure custom fit gate. You'd need to sets to make a nice big ring. but it's less expensive than the kidco, and babies r us carries and so they have sales every so often for a % off all baby gates.

we bought the safe and secure so we could have a door to walk thru because we got sick of hopping the super yard gates.
    Last edited by MacMacMoo; 09-14-2010 at 01:21 AM.

I have a Graco Pack & Play SPORT - it is an indoor/outdoor hexagonal playpen that features a removable UV-protective roof and waterproof floor (so you can just hose it down to clean it) - it also has a door to function as a playtent for an older child while you're gardening or whatnot - we got ours on eBay, as they are not currently sold in the US - we LOVE it > for camping, BBQs, or around the home - here's a current listing, if you would like to see what I'm talking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m_guide:2&rd=1
    DS October 2007
    Busy Budgeted Chicagoland Mommy

We have the northstates metal play yard. I bought it used for the same price as a new plastic one. DS hated being confined in it once he could crawl, but now I use it to section off part of the office that he shouldn't be in. I do like is that it is heavy. You tighten down the sections, and (as long as you don't have it completely in a straight line) then he can't push it over. Because it is heavy though, it is probably best for leaving in one spot like we do. I wouldn't want to transport it in and outside for example.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

We used the SuperYard on carpet and it worked well. We used it for a while as a play yard, but later put it around the TV/DVD to block access and later around the Christmas tree.

As for the protecting your hardwood floor surface, you may want to buy enough of the padded ABC-s floor material and put it under the gate area.
    Sonny
    Daddy to a tall dictatorial DS 1/10 and benevolent sweet DD mid-2012

We have the Aosom Baby wooden playyard. Just got it last week and are pleased, its huge! We actually have three pieces blocking off one section of our bonus room and then five pieces creating a playyard in another room. It comes with padded pieces that protect the floor and make it hard for a kid to push around. The pieces fold up so you can bring it outside easily I would think. It was $130 on Amazon which was a better price per quality IMO compared to the plastic superyard.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"