Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 21 months old and done with the high chair?

DD is 21 months old and has been happily sitting in her Boon Flair high chair until now. Suddenly, she is desperate to sit on a chair at the table with DH and I. I started lowering the Boon and pulling her to the table in the high chair, but she really wants to sit in a regular seat.

Is this a phase that I should just wait out, or should I just buy a booster? I would really rather keep her in the high chair since she makes such a huge mess when she eats at the table!

How long did your DC stay in a high chair?
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

No advice but I'll be watching this thread. My 21 mo also usually wants to sit in a normal chair. I'm leaning toward getting her a booster (although I worry she won't want to sit in a booster either) but not sure if I'm being rash in thinking of getting rid of the high chair.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

I don't think it's a phase. We've been using a booster from the get-go, but DD is looking to sit in a regular chair half the time now anyway. I just let her. She's pretty much big enough now.
    mom to one sweet little girl born in late '08
    and -surprise!- one sweet little boy born in late '11

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When my DD was 22 months, she decided she was done with the high chair. We had already purchased a Tripp Trapp for her which was waiting patiently by the table. One night before dinner, she pushed it over to the table and sat down. She has been using the TT ever since.

It seems that your DD really wants to partake in the social aspects of sitting at the table. I would encourage this regardless of the messiness.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Doesn't she know that she has the coolest high chair?!

Sorry to say, but probably not a phase...

We switched DD2 into a booster at the table right around that time because she kept climbing up into the chairs and pitching a fit if we tried to move her to the high chair (which was already pushed up to the table - so she was not off in a corner eating by herself). DD1 was even a little younger - when we took her to Disney on an extended family trip at 20 months she had already been out of the high chair for a couple of months. I know there are babies who are still happy to sit in a high chair at 2+, but mine were definitely not!

Even more fun: at 26 months, DD2 has decided that restaurant high chairs and boosters are not necessary. And really, we can't argue that point because nobody wants to be in a restaurant with a 2 year old having a tantrum over seating arrangements, so we sit in a booth and constantly correct her about standing up, trying to climb onto the table, sliding down under the table, etc. We don't eat out so much lately.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, I think she is ready for a booster. We switched DD earlier than that (to a booster with a seatbelt) then to a cooshie. Now at 3 she uses nothing.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

If you live near an Ikea we have two of these chairs and both of my kids use them. They really prefer them to boosters. I would love to have two Tripp Trapps but that wasn't in the budget these work great and are a really great price. FWIW we have the Agam chairs in black.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...ns_ikea/18733/
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

DS2 decided he was sitting in a cushie booster at the table at 22-23 months. Since he'd been climbing out of his high chair for the last 8 months or so, we were fine with it.

So we have a cushie booster on an arm chair at the table. It's less mess, actually, because we keep telling him he has to eat neatly to be at the table. And he's doing really well.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post
    Doesn't she know that she has the coolest high chair?!

So sitting in it at table height, no tray doesn't do the trick? Say it isn't so...I'll be totally bummed if mine is done with the Boon that soon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast