Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Update in post 91:Baby Clara Birth Update (warning no loss but potentially upsetting)

Sorry for the long delay but Clara and I are still in the hospital and I haven't been able to get to the internet! WARNING: I want to update everyone but am very worried that some posters do not need to hear this particular story right before their own deliveries. So, if you are in this category please stop reading with: Baby Clara was born at 10.5 lbs on Tuesday morning and we will both soon be able to leave the hospital.
    --------------------------------
    OK, so when we last left off I had managed to be 41 weeks 6 days, no dilation, cervix totally posterior, what was sadly an accurate ultrasound read of 10.5 baby, transverse, pitocin-induction v-bac. My OB correctly judged that the pitocin contractions would likely realign the baby and we got her head down after a few hours. After consulting with ob, doula, and nurses the concensus was that 10.5 was big but 10.5 babies delivered all the time and not alone a contraindication for vbac and I was actually in good shape with the baby repositioned. So, posters I went through the whole labor - - about 18 hours. I did three hours of active labor with no meds, which was brutal on a very slow and low level pitocin induction starting from a ground zero cervix, with no epidural but it did dilate me almost totally. At that point I used a low-dose epidural (thank g*d as it turns out). So, by Tuesday morning I was fully effaced and dilated and everyone thought about an hour to go. My OB was driving in while we waited for her to labor down and drop. I could feel her head about 2-3 inches from the outside, I was that close!

And then I had a freak rupture of my uterus. Actually NOT a vbac complication since I didn't tear at the scar. Pitocin of course increases the odds of any tears but I had a very low-level, carefully and continously monitored induction. My OB's old repair held up to that induction. Instead, I tore vertically about 5-6 inches up my uterus near the cervix. I was in pain and then Clara's heart rate de-accelerated a few times and re-positioning did not help. A very seasoned labor and delivery nurse grabbed my bed and ran for the OR. At this point, Clara was in my abdominal cavity, not uterus anymore, basically among my internal organs since the uterus was torn so badly and her oxygen was compromised. Everyone was yelling. I was very fortunate that my team caught the tear instantly, got me to the OR in under 2 minutes, and there was a maternal-fetal medicine attending doctor on the floor who cut her out. From the first heart deceleration to her being removed was under 10 minutes.

But they didn't have time to put me under general or even effectively increase my low-level laboring epidural . . . they did something injectable for the incision but getting her out of my abdominal cavity was a pain that I can barely think about. My husband could hear my screams all the way down the hall and from what I recall through the shock it made active labor on pitocin seem like a spa treatment. My OB then arrived, I went under general and my OB did the repair and for lack of better terminology some straightening out of my internal organs. I woke up from general with my husband sobbing on pillow that he thought he had lost me and the maternal-fetal medicine doctor telling me no more babies and it was a miracle a tear that big hadn't hit the uterine vessels and caused me to bleed to death.

So, I know that sounds pretty bad but really it is a miracle that Clara and I are both alive and I am very grateful. Everyone thinks the odds are about 99% that Clara has no brain damage and will be fine. She spent two days in the NICU because of her initial apgar and blood gas but her five minute apgar was an 8. I am in fairly rough shape but will be fine. I can't carry more babies (at least not without giant risk) and it is fairly devastating to have that option for more pregnancies gone.

But, overall, I am very, very lucky. And extremely grateful to all of you for your support.
    Last edited by sste; 09-20-2010 at 11:26 AM.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh my goodness... What a terrifying story. I am so glad that you are both ok.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Welcome to the world, baby Clara!

I am so sorry for the scary, complicated experience you had! I am so glad that you and she are safe. I am so sorry for the loss of potentially having more kids. What a hard, hard thing to go through. I hope that there are no greater hurdles after this for you and your little family.

Beth

I am bawling my eyes out at your story. What a miracle that you are both doing as well as you are. I'm sorry to hear you are nit recommended to have more children. It sounds like this is disappointing news for you. Many &pts for you and your little one.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Thank goodness you and Clara are both safe.

Welcome to the world, Clara!
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow. SO glad you are both okay. What an intense experience. Lots of P&PT for your recovery from your labor and delivery.

Please give baby Clara a hug and enjoy her!! Glad you both had the medical care you needed. just wow...

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Glad you and the baby are fine.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

cindys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Welcome Baby Ciara!

Mommy, your story has me tearing up....How scary for all of you!

Glad you are both okay!!

Cindy
    Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 23mos

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow, so so happy to hear you are both OK. What a miracle!

Welcome Clara!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow! All I can say is wow! They say no on gets a blue ribbon for giving birth but seriously you deserve one. I am so glad that you both are ok. I hope that you are both home soon.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast