Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    Sorry for the long delay but Clara and I are still in the hospital and I haven't been able to get to the internet! WARNING: I want to update everyone but am very worried that some posters do not need to hear this particular story right before their own deliveries. So, if you are in this category please stop reading with: Baby Clara was born at 10.5 lbs on Tuesday morning and we will both soon be able to leave the hospital.
    --------------------------------
    OK, so when we last left off I had managed to be 41 weeks 6 days, no dilation, cervix totally posterior, what was sadly an accurate ultrasound read of 10.5 baby, transverse, pitocin-induction v-bac. My OB correctly judged that the pitocin contractions would likely realign the baby and we got her head down after a few hours. After consulting with ob, doula, and nurses the concensus was that 10.5 was big but 10.5 babies delivered all the time and not alone a contraindication for vbac and I was actually in good shape with the baby repositioned. So, posters I went through the whole labor - - about 18 hours. I did three hours of active labor with no meds, which was brutal on a very slow and low level pitocin induction starting from a ground zero cervix, with no epidural but it did dilate me almost totally. At that point I used a low-dose epidural (thank g*d as it turns out). So, by Tuesday morning I was fully effaced and dilated and everyone thought about an hour to go. My OB was driving in while we waited for her to labor down and drop. I could feel her head about 2-3 inches from the outside, I was that close!

And then I had a freak rupture of my uterus. Actually NOT a vbac complication since I didn't tear at the scar. Pitocin of course increases the odds of any tears but I had a very low-level, carefully and continously monitored induction. My OB's old repair held up to that induction. Instead, I tore vertically about 5-6 inches up my uterus near the cervix. I was in pain and then Clara's heart rate de-accelerated a few times and re-positioning did not help. A very seasoned labor and delivery nurse grabbed my bed and ran for the OR. At this point, Clara was in my abdominal cavity, not uterus anymore, basically among my internal organs since the uterus was torn so badly and her oxygen was compromised. Everyone was yelling. I was very fortunate that my team caught the tear instantly, got me to the OR in under 2 minutes, and there was a maternal-fetal medicine attending doctor on the floor who cut her out. From the first heart deceleration to her being removed was under 10 minutes.

But they didn't have time to put me under general or even effectively increase my low-level laboring epidural . . . they did something injectable for the incision but getting her out of my abdominal cavity was a pain that I can barely think about. My husband could hear my screams all the way down the hall and from what I recall through the shock it made active labor on pitocin seem like a spa treatment. My OB then arrived, I went under general and my OB did the repair and for lack of better terminology some straightening out of my internal organs. I woke up from general with my husband sobbing on pillow that he thought he had lost me and the maternal-fetal medicine doctor telling me no more babies and it was a miracle a tear that big hadn't hit the uterine vessels and caused me to bleed to death.

So, I know that sounds pretty bad but really it is a miracle that Clara and I are both alive and I am very grateful. Everyone thinks the odds are about 99% that Clara has no brain damage and will be fine. She spent two days in the NICU because of her initial apgar and blood gas but her five minute apgar was an 8. I am in fairly rough shape but will be fine. I can't carry more babies (at least not without giant risk) and it is fairly devastating to have that option for more pregnancies gone.

But, overall, I am very, very lucky. And extremely grateful to all of you for your support.
    Oh.Wow. I am so glad to hear that both of you came through this and that you are steadily improving. I think we've all been worrying about you and I was relieved to see your post. Sending prayers and healing thoughts to you and Clara both.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm so glad and happy that it worked out for both of you and you all are safe and sound. Such a scary situation to be in.

Even after reading your warning I just had to continue. And I wish I hadn't. As I'll be attempting VBAC with this pregnancy against my family and my DH wishes. Hopefully I'll have forgotten about this in 6 months time.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am shaking for you. I am so glad that you are all OK. I don't know if I have ever shared my story with you and I deliberately did not mention it during your posts because I did not want to scare you. We lost my DD Leah due to a uterine rupture very similar to yours. Like you, she was in my abdominal cavity. But her oxygen was too compromised. I am so thankful your story did not end like mine.

If you want info about a uterine rupture support group (for women whose children survived as well as those who did not) I can give you info about that too.

While I know that this may not even be on your mind now, Amy is my post rupture baby. It is possible and many others have done it. If this is something you ever feel in the future you may ever want to think about, I am happy to tell you what I know.

Please feel free to PM me.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am so glad that you and baby Clara are both alive and recovering. I am so sorry that you (and your husband) had to go through that though. I hope that you have/can find someone who can help you process both what happened to you and your sadness over suddenly losing the option to have another child (at least without major risk). I know I would need that.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

I don't know whether to cry, or be happy for you. I'll go with be happy because it looks like things will be OK. Oh my goodness. I thought I had a rough time, but...oh my goodness. Many hugs to you and your little miracle.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am so happy for you and your family. What a blessing that everything turned out so positive. Congratulations!
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

I literally had tears in my eyes reading your story. I am so thankful to hear you both have come through it okay. A big hug to you to welcome little Clara to this world, and another one to mourn the goodbye to future babies. All the more reason she is a little miracle.

to you all, including your DS and your poor DH who had quite a rought time with the scare, too.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am soo glad things worked out and Clara made it into the world, and that you both are alive, and well. Hugs to you, and your entire family.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Will write more later, but glad you're all OK
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wow! Just Wow! What a miracle! You and your family are in my thoughts. Enjoy your new little one!
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast