Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: headaches

HUGS! I'm so sorry you're miserable. It really sounds like Fall allergies to me. The sore throat, sinuses, head-ache--all sounds like allergies, and the weather change will certainly bring it on. Maybe if you concentrate your focus towards allergy remedies it will help? Here's hoping you get some relief soon so you can enjoy your son and this pregnancy.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's just rotten and I'm so sorry. Since you just moved to the area, it can take a few years to "acclimate" to the change in allergens. One thing that might help - get a good air purifier to use only in your bedroom, and keep the door closed. There are some studies that show that if you can sleep in a room free of allergens, it tides you over for the rest of the day. Some people who have cats and are allergic are able to keep their cats by making sure the bedroom is totally cat-free.

I hope you feel better really soon!

eta: I don't mean totally "free of allergens" - that would be impossible! But, an air purifier may help you sleep better at night and cope a bit better during the day. What you really need is for your 1st trimester blahs to GO AWAY!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 10-01-2010 at 06:15 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thx for the replies. indeed, it does seem like fall allergies which are pretty bad here right now. my FIL (who is visiting now for a few days while my DH is gone) was coughing this morning so badly he had to take an allergy pill. when i moved here 2 years ago around this same time (October) i was waking up with headaches frequently which coincided with high pollen levels/high winds etc. i remember getting steroid shots (which really helped) and taking some meds but i think once i'm pg (and then nursing again) there are less available options. still, i think i'm going to see an ENT next week to see what my treatment options are.

and i will look into an air purifier..it does seem like the allergies tend to wreak havoc the most at night (often times by very late afternoon my headache starts to feel better). i have a mist humidifier and i did try it just now but it sensed the room was already at 70% humidity so it didn't even turn on. and interesting you mention cats, i didn't think i was allergic since i've never had issues, but one night a few months ago i was at a friend's house for a few hours watching a movie with her 2 cats in the same room. a couple hours after being there i started sneezing and coughing, and later that night i came down with a terrible sore throat, congestion, sinus headache, etc and i even ended up getting a sinus infection that i had to take antibiotics for! crazy. i do also think i'm fairly sensitive to dust etc in the room (i dont' vaccuum/clean nearly as much as i should ) and so hopefully using an air purifier at night would help with that.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 10-01-2010 at 07:06 PM.

If it is allergy related there are things you can take. My ob gave me a list.

I am so very sorry you're going through this!

I'd (1) get an air purifier - a good one - and move it room to room with me and (2) get a humidifier and use it - this not only puts moisture in the air, it can also take allergens out.

Got a costco near you? They have great air purifiers.

Hope things get better soon!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Have you considered allergy covers for your pillow and/or mattress? Maybe that, combined with an air purifier close to you while you're sleeping might help.

Hope you get some relief soon, mama!
    Nicole, Mommy to Jackson 4/30/02 (who is a Lego Star Wars Junkie)
    and Maddie 10/16/10 (Little Miss ChattyPants)

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I woke up with a headache monday morning and Tylenol sort of softens it but doesn't really go away. Its only on one side close to the eye but not allergy related. Probably due to lack of sleep and DD's been acting up and wakes up middle of the night and stays up for 1-2 hrs before sleeping again. I get these headaches alot but usually the Tylenol takes care of it.

I know Tylenol is safe during pregnancy but wondering how much is considered safe? I usually take 2 tabs at a time 500mg each. So far I've managed to take it only once a day but wondering whether its safe to take twice a day since the headach is not going away and I'm at work and its just getting in the way.

Thank you.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    ok now the headaches are occurring daily. the sad fact is, i think they're mostly due to allergies, so short of moving away, there's not much i can do. my sinuses feel so swollen i feel dizzy just standing up. of course the added nausea from m/s doesn't help. argh, i don't know for how much longer i can take this. for 3 out of the past 4 days, i've woken up with a headache that lasts the whole day. my throat also feels weird, almost like i'm sick with a cold. i've tried taking a shower, nasal saline rinse, tylenol....nothing. lying down makes the pain 1000x worse. i take Claritin at night but it doesn't seem to do anything (can't take zyrtec because i'm breastfeeding). i didn't try a humidifier yet but not sure that would even help, since i don't think dryness is the issue (the pollen level in my area right now is very high). plus i did try one of those Vicks personal steam things and that didn't do anything.

maybe this belongs in the bitching post. i just want to cry. this sucks. i just just want to wake up one morning where i don't have a freaking headache and walk around like a zombie for the entire day. i feel horrible that i can't take care of my son properly and give him the attention he deserves. plus i feel so bad that i can't enjoy this pregnancy at all because i just feel so insanely miserable.

2 things:

Xyzal is safe for pregnancy and it's much better than Claritin. My husband is an allergist--he brings me home samples every week and have no idea what it costs compared to Claritin, but ask about it if you can. It's like night and day.

Also, I have been fairly miserable for much of this pregnancy as well and I have decided not to feel guilty about it. It would be nice if we all loved being pregnant and could get past the discomforts, but not everyone feels that way. Take care of yourself and hang in there!
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Have you tried nasal irrigation? It sounds gross, but it's really easy and gives a lot of relief from sinus congestion, dryness and allergies. You basically just rinse your nose and sinuses with saline. Very natural and safe. I think you can do it a couple of times a day.

You can either try a neti pot or a squeeze bottle. I use a squeeze bottle in the shower every day. It really helps me!

www.neilmed.com
    www.sinucleanse.com

I'm guessing that you are chronically dehydrated. Your body needs more fluids when pregnant. One reason that people often wake up with headaches after taking naps or sleeping in is that they are dehydrated. If you are feeling sick then you're likely drinking less than usual (which is already less than you need while pregnant), and you really need to up your fluid intake drastically.

ETA: Just realized that this is an old thread so I guess you solved the problem by now. Hopefully this might help someone else though. Gotta pay more attention to the dates in these forums that don't get as much traffic!
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast