Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Get back in shape support thread

Ok mamas who are struggling to work out -- this is our thread to help encourage and kick each to go work out. Post here when you have worked out or when you need a boost to get to the gym! CHECK IN OFTEN!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I went to the gym today and did 15 mins of elipse machine with heart rate around 140-150. I felt ok and decided to stop while I didn't feel like I wanted to die in hope that I would come back

Also no alcohol for me for last 4 days (in part due to migraine). I've lost 1 lb ... might be all water!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes and then did a couple (and by couple, I mean 2 only) of the machines.

However, I cannot say I've gone without alcohol for any period of time (actually, I didn't have any today, but I usually have a glass a day (sometimes 2)).

ETA: And, my a$$ hurts from the machines... so it's clear that I am WAY out of shape.

Very timely thread! I went to the gym Saturday morning. Did 20 minutes on the exercise bike, lifted weights and stretched. I am a little sore today, not surprising since I haven't been to the gym in over 5 months.

I plan to walk tomorrow and go back to the gym on Wednesday. Hopefully posting that will motivate me to stick to the plan.

Catherine

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'll play, but I'm not technically getting "back in shape". I don't think I ever really WAS in shape..... I actually feel better right now than I have since college. 15+ years ago. I've been eating better and going to the gym about 4x per week. I am down about 35 lbs from the end of my 3rd trimester (3 months ago). But obviously some of that was baby! I'm maybe 10 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight.

I've been doing:
    Body Pump 2x per week
    Spin 2-3x per week
    Interval training if I miss spin, which I *hate*, which motivates me to go to spin

ETA: And, my a$$ hurts from the machines... so it's clear that I am WAY out of shape.
    Heh. I actually have a gel bike seat I bring to spin with me. It is a little embarrassing but it makes the class soooo much more tolerable.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Ok today's schedule is insane at work but I have tomorrow 8-10 blocked for the gym. Can someone tell me about this sort of class?
    Pilates-Based Mat
    Developed over seventy years ago by Joseph H. Pilates, the focus of this discipline is to strengthen and stretch the abdomen and torso by solely using the body. Technique involves proper breathing and control over various muscles.

If you are insanely out of shape would you give it a go?

Congrats to all the mamas working out today!! I lost another lb this morning going to keep skipping alcohol and see how that works.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I just joined a gym for the first time in a long time (and I've never been a successful gym person). I've been working out at the gym consistently for 2-3 weeks now, and haven't lost any weight yet, but am trying to focus on showing up rather than losing weight right now. (Plus, it would probably help if I paid attention to what I was eating ). I went this morning and the substitute instructor didn't show up for the class I was going to go to, so I went on the treadmill for 10 min and then did weights/strength training. I'm working my way through Couch to 5K when I'm not at a class- I should start week 4 (but didn't have my ipod this morning).

Hillary, I did a pilates- based mat class before and really liked it. I didn't know all those muscles were there. It helped that the one I did was through StrollerFit, so it included plenty of out-of-shape mommies, but I was hoping to try it at my gym soon as well...
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I'll play, but I'm not technically getting "back in shape". I don't think I ever really WAS in shape..... I actually feel better right now than I have since college. 15+ years ago. I've been eating better and going to the gym about 4x per week. I am down about 35 lbs from the end of my 3rd trimester (3 months ago). But obviously some of that was baby! I'm maybe 10 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight.
    10 lbs BELOW pre-pregnancy weight in 3 months is pretty f-ing incredible. And your workout regiment sounds hard. I have never been in great shape either. I used to be thin, but it was never because I was actually in shape. Right now I'm a size 10-12-14, depending on what it is I'm wearing and how it's cut (I've got semi-broad shoulders and I was a DD even when I was a size 4 in college so sometimes I have to wear a larger size on top), but I'd like to be an 8-10.

Anyway, for today, I brought my gym clothes to work, so I'm hoping to go down to the gym in my office in a little bit and work out. Of course, when I work out at work, I never do a strenuous workout because I don't want to sweat too much. I hate to shower here (yes, I know, I'm just gross).

And Wednesday, I'm starting Zumba class. A couple friends of mine who are also not in great shape are did the class over the summer and are doing it with me this fall. They swear that you do not need to be in great shape to do it. We'll see if they're telling the truth...

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

when I work out at work, I never do a strenuous workout because I don't want to sweat too much. I hate to shower here
    Unless I run a long way, I never shower at work. It takes too much time and I also hate our locker room. Most people don't, at least here. I don't think I smell. I do keep deoderant in my office though....
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Starting back to the gym tomorrow I hope. I plan to try to put my 2yo in the child watch while my older DD is in preschool. Wish me luck with that!

I love pilates! It is amazing. I don't think you lose weight doing it but it does get your abs and butt into shape. I have gone a couple times in the last few months totally out of shape. I had to sit out a couple of exercises mostly b/c of my bad back but I was sweating when the class was over and my abs hurt for days! Love it!

I plan to do pilates once or twice a week and then cardio at least twice a week too.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast